Use Diatomaceous Earth
Firstly, no matter if you are growing in the garden, containers, or indoors, diatomaceous earth is an incredibly versatile material that helps with root systems, silica uptake, and pest control. One of the coolest things about Diatomaceous Earth is that it was originally a plant, single celle, called a diatom. meaning that it went from Plant to mineral. How can we Use Diatomaceous Earth in the Garden?
- Very Porous and absorbs 142% of its own weight in water. Influences water retention/conservation
- Help retain nutrients. Absorbed water and nutrients are readily available when released
- Increased air capacity which means HUGE roots
- PH neutral and will help to stabalize PH beings it is a mineral source of PH. Works well to stabalize PH in soils and hydroponic setups
- DE aggregates more water than peat moss, 4x more than compost, 90% more than calcined clay
- Provides drought relief epecially in turf grasses, trees, shrubs, flowers, and gardens. Just mix into the soil
When mixing in to containers we recommend a 15% – 20% mix
When mixing into outdoor soils we recommend 2.5lb per 1000 square feet
Hydroponic mediums tend to have the most success with a larger granulated diatomaceous earth as it will not float
Use With Livestock
Here is a cheatsheet for amounts to feed your livestock!
Beef Cattle or Dairy Cattle – 1% of total weight of dry ration or 1 oz. per day
Calves – 4 grams in morning milk per calf or 2 oz. per day in feed
Chickens – 5% in feed, use at full strength in dusting boxes
Hogs – 2% of total feed ration, dust or spray on bedding and animals
Horses – 5 oz. (1 cup) in daily feed ration
Sheep – 1% in ground grains 1 part Diatomaceous Earth to 2 parts T-M salt
Goats – 1% in grain, 1/2 oz. per day, up to 50% in T-M salt
FOR LARGE ANIMALS, Diatomaceous Earth may be offered as “FREE CHOICE” as long as the dispenser is well protected from the wind. Your livestock will also gain benefits from the many trace MINERALS naturally provided by our Freshwater Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, and DE helps reduce animal excrement odors that draw flies.
Dust Bath For Chickens
For all the chicken lovers out there with a healthy amount of them on your farm, this product is going to be a game changer for you. I talked with this very nice lady and she stated she had some Cornish Cross Chickens that were getting much too big to properly clean themselves. In my experience with chickens, when they get too big they tend to start rolling on the ground to help kill any pests or things unwanted on their feathers. My recommendation to her was to set out boxes full of Diatomaceous Earth and Sand. It was a hit! Even the other breeds of chickens started to love rolling in the mix. Wow did all the pests start to disappear and she called us back with a new wholesale order as just this product and a little sand saved some money being spend on equipment and pesticides to keep the mites off the chickens. Diatomaceous Earth is very healthy for your chickens and be sure to purchase our food grade for them. Some steps to take when starting a dust bath for your chickens:
- Small round plastic pool
- Spade (for mixing)
- Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
- Fine Dirt or Sand
Mix the sand and food grade diatomaceous 50/50 and be sure to mix in 25lb to 50lb of each. Next step is placing the dirt in the coop or outside under cover. Watch your chickens and other birds start to use it to kill off pests and other unwanted external parasites.
Storing food in this country has been a growing tend since the big 2012 Mayan calender scare. I personally remember a friend preaching about food storage just incase something happens to this country. I agree on many levels and have taken the time over the years to stock up on some base ingredients like the ones shown in the picture above. Things like temperature, humidity, and shelf life all come into play when thinking of storing food. One ingredient that will help with all of those bad elements is Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. Works much better than exygen absorbers as they can suffocate living foods like wheat or other living grains. Diatomaceous Earth has a porous body and can let oxygen move in and out the way it is meant to, creating a more fresh environment for your stored foods. . Helps with:
- Oxygen Levels
Diatomaceous Earth Cat Litter Odor Control
Cats are great to cuddle with and play with but man do their litter boxes stink to high heaven!! The litter is the most odorous element of owning a feline. While felines generally bathe themselves, they can’t bathe their cat box without getting some type of parasite. Parsites causes toxoplasmosis, which causes flu-like symptoms and number of cognitive effects and death. The best way to protect your felines and family from unwanted odors and pathogens is incorporating Food grade diatomaceous earth in the litter itself. Diatomaceous Earth is highly absorbent and wick away some of the bad smell that comes from the urine and bowel of the feline, plus it is easy to mix into your litter. In addition, when you add the product to your litter, it will take care of those unwanted pathogens that make you and your pets sick! Please see this guideline to help you prepare your litter
- Clean Your Litter Box
- Bag and throw away the contents of the cat box
- Wash out and disinfect the box itself and dry
- Apply a 1-inch layer of Diatomaceous Earth to the bottom of the litter box
2. Add Diatomaceous Earth to your Litter
- Mix in 3/4 cup of Diatomaceous Earth for every 5 lbs of litter in your bag
- Seal the bag of tub and shake until well blended
- To ensure your cat’s area remains clean and odor free, repeat this process with every new bag or tub of litter you buy.
With lots of testing and some trial and error, many gardeners and produce growers are finding an extremely helpful benefit of using diatomaceous earth in the garden. While this product is not currently registered for this reason, there have been some recent studies into the effects. Matter of fact a study out of Australia did shed some light on what diatoamceous earth will do for grapes. What they found was:
- Increased Water holding capacity in the soil
- Better uptake of calium and phosphorous in the grape vines
- Bigger V-shaped branches
- Hardier grapes with reduced fruit split
- Increased size of root zones
- Higher soil organic carbon levels
- Reduced requirement for superphosphate
- Increased silicon levels
- Increase in plant available Calcium, Phosphorous, Magnesium, and Potassium levels at early growth stage as well as increased Potassium levels at flowering and Magnesium levels at post harvest
They found these results when using 88lbs per acre and if you break that down per 1000 square feet, you would apply 2lbs per that amount of garden space. This is fantastic news for the grower trying to perfect his/her craft and get a huge harvest. Less disease means less worry.
Grain Storage & Flow Agent
IN recent years, it has been found that up to 50% of all grains grown and stored in the US are contaminated by insects or have been damaged by insects. Dow chemical continues to throw pesticides at the grain storage industry and this is allowing a continuous spray of toxic substances in our grain. Thing that gets me is that the chemicals are not effective and you have to repeat the process, compounding the problem. Diatomaceous Earth is the organic and NON-toxic alternative. Adding 15 trace minerals, being approved by the FDA to use in grain storage, and the fact that it kills insects, makes it a much more economical choice for all grain storage. It is also our hope that this product will push Dow chemcials away from the AG industry, at least away from grain storage. Here are some things that have been said about its use and effectivenss:
- Controls insects in wheat, rice, sorghum, oats, rye, barley, corn, and seeds of all kinds.
- Controls rice weevils, lesser grain bobers, flat grain beetles, red flour beetles, confused flour beetles, merchant grain beetles, saw-toothed grain beetles, granary beetles, larvae of the Indian meal moth, etc.
- Easy and safe to use – only one treatment needed
- Does not have to be removed
- Contains 15 trace minerals
- Insects cannot become immune to its physicial killing action
- Gives long term protection
- NO impact on taste or flavor of cooking quality
- Leaves no chemical residue or toxicity
- Stainless & Odourless
- Non Combustible and Non Explosive
- Cost Effective
(ie. 1kg of DE will protect 500kg of grain)
Diatomaceous Earth has some useful benefits for the flow of feed and other grains in the equipment used by feed mills, elevators, and grain storage locations. In a silo, wet grain or corns, or molasses mixed grains or feeds can really get sticky and will not move down a pipe or auger. Diatomaceous Earth will coat the grain or feed and help to break the clumps apart and create a better “flow” for the product to move through piping systems. This is the function of diatomaceous earth being an anti-caking agent. Diatomaceous Earth make the feed less likely to mould due to it’s moisture absorbency characteristics.
Lastly, Earthworks Health sells only the purest food grade diatomaceous earth on the planet and we offer 20% off deals along with not charging shipping for our diatomacous earth powder sizes. Feel free to call us directly at 1-800-228-5836 or you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Sales Manager/Customer Service Manager