How Diatomaceous Earth (DE) Works
EARTHWORKS HEALTH LLC offers the PUREST Freshwater Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth on the Planet! Be sure to check out our product page and click here to be redirected there!
THERE IS NO CLAY IN OUR PRODUCT.
Before you purchase (2) of this size, be sure to order our 4-2.5lb jugs for the same price!
100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth 2.5lb Jug$23.50
You are getting (2) jugs for free when you buy this size!
(4-2.5Lb Jugs) 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth$39.50
2 Year supply with this size!
(10Lb Bag) 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth$29.50
For a discounted rate on (5) of this item, call us at 1-800-228-5836
100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth 50lb Bag$59.50
DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FAQ
Firstly, we get many questions asked to us every day — KEEP ON ASKING–we want to answer all your questions. Here is a list of FAQ you might want to look over 1st to see if the answer is here:
How can something that kills bugs not be harmful for me and my pets?
HOW CAN SOMETHING THAT KILLS BUGS NOT BE HARMFUL TO ME OR MY PETS?
Remember–Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth kills insects by PHYSICAL action—not chemical. Hundreds of the microscopic particles get all over the insects body. As the insects move, it scratches the waxy coating off of them and they dehydrate and die. Because the particles are so small–they cause no harm to people and pets. It is a simple mineral—silica.
Is the same product used for killing bugs and helping people?
IS THE SAME PRODUCT USED FOR KILLING BUGS AND HELPING PEOPLE AND PETS?
How much Food Grade DE should a person take each day?
I have heard DE is dangerous--especially breathing it in.
Will Food Grade DE interfere with any medication I am now taking?
WILL FOOD GRADE DE INTERFERE WITH ANY MEDICATION I AM NOW TAKING?
If this stuff is so great, why have I never heard of it before?
Where do you get your Diatomaceous Earth?
Where do you get your Diatomaceous Earth?
Do you have pricing for large amounts of DE?
DO YOU HAVE PRICING FOR LARGE AMOUNTS OF DE?
Do you ship to other countries?
DO YOU SHIP TO OTHER COUNTRIES?
Can I pick up DE myself to save shipping costs?
CAN I PICKUP DE MYSELF TO SAVE ON SHIPPING COSTS?
What is the total analysis of DE?
WHAT IS THE TOTAL ANALYSIS OF DE?
Does diatomaceous earth ever get old or expire?
DOES DE EVER GET OLD OR EXPIRE?
Can I get a SDS sheet on DE?
CAN I GET A SDS SHEET ON DE?
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth: How is it Formed?
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is formed by Diatoms absorbing the mineral content within a water body to form a shell around their cell membrane. These diatoms in this particular case absorbed a high amount of silica and low amount of metals within this particular body of water in the Reno, NV region of the United States. Over millions of years, these diatoms build up on top of each other forming a huge fossilized deposit. Literally, these diatoms were formed when dinosaurs roamed the earth! Now the diatom itself is a particular one called the Aulacoseira diatoms created in the Miocene Epoch
The shell formed around the diatom’s cell is considered to be primarily amorphous silica. Its shape and hardness have everything to do with how it works. It hardness keeps it from dissolving like other hard minerals. The diatom’s tubular shape and holes along the diatom’s wall allow it to absorb moisture, hence its use as an anti-caking agent! The tubular shape of the diatom gives it more surface area than other shaped diatoms and this means it has greater absorptive capacity with the holes that open to the center. This allows the diatom to absorb unwanted fungus and bacteria within the gut! Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth does not swell in the stomach and has no physical or chemical capability to absorb nutrients, medicines, or herbs.
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is almost all silica at 89% and is pure white to off-white in color, showing its purity. There are other mines of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth here in the US and world. You will find that those other mines have a product that is almost grey or red in color since it has a higher amount of metals like iron or even clays that are not meant to be ingested. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is OMRI organic and is Generally Regarded as Safe (G.R.A.S.) for human consumption by the USDA and FDA.
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is Not Sand or Glass
picture of our diatoms under a microscope
The most common thing in the sand is crystalline silica and is usually in the form of quartz, which, because of its hardness, really does not weather through millions of years. Many mines of diatomaceous are not rated food grade because of the high amount of quartz or crystalline silica found within its diatoms. Crystalline silica is not meant to ingest and will cause problems if animals or humans eat it. Amorphous silica is better for ingestion and found that some of the silica can be absorbed into the blood stream to help with silica supplementation with humans or animals. Beach sand is mostly made of a varying weathered material from inland rocks and transported to the beach via wind, rain, rivers, and or shells and other hard parts precipitated out of the ocean water by marine organisms. Quartz is the main component of glass making and crystalline silica or quartz will make a clear and hard glass. Quartz is a hard and white or colorless mineral consisting of silicon dioxide, found widely in igneous, metamorphic, and sedimentary rocks. It is often colored by impurities (as in amethyst, or citrine)
Fresh Water vs Salt Water Diatomaceous Earth
picture of a fresh water diatomaceous earth mine
Fresh water deposits like ours have a consistent diatom presence. Their fossilized shells have maintained their tubular structure. This shape and strength of the fossil shell are critical to its effectiveness. Our deposit has 89-92% amorphous silica content. This deposit is also more consistent in its purity. A fresh water deposit in the mountains, such as ours, formed when snow was pure and its run off provided the water source these diatoms lived in. Salt water deposits contain a mix of types of diatoms of different shapes. Their fossilized shells are fragile and break easily. This renders them ineffective for our purposes and down right dangerous to ingest. The salt water deposits are less predictable in their sediments due to their open environment.
Whats the Difference Between Amorphous and Crystalline Silica
Amorphous silica is silica in its naturally occurring state. It is a trace mineral every mammal on the planet needs to live. Diatoms are found in all water sources and are the main food for aquatic life. Diatomaceous Earth becomes crystalline when it is exposed to extreme temperatures by manufacturing means and in minute amounts through naturally occurring extreme heat such as volcanic activity. The type of diatomaceous earth used in swimming pool and other filtration systems is crystalline silica that has been heated naturally or by man to make it crystalline. Crystalline silica is extremely dangerous when inhaled or ingested. IT IS NOT BIODEGRADABLE!!!
DIATOMACEOUS EARTH HEALTH BENEFITS: WHY AND HOW
1) As you can see from the picture of the magnified diatomaceous earth, it looks like a cylinder full of holes. Kind of like Rice Chex Cereal.
3) A small amount of diatomaceous earth gets absorbed into the blood stream as silica. One of the benefits of Silica is that it helps to destroy bad fats. Diatomaceous Earth Maintains a healthy cholesterol range. Go to the page on “Human Use” and review all of the benefits of silica to the body.
1. Reduce Joint Inflammation
2. Maintain healthy skin
3. Hair and nails grow stronger and grow faster
4. Tooth and gum health
5. Maintain a healthy respiratory tract
6. Menopause has less symptoms including hot Flashes & Mood swings
7. Healthier urinary tract
The benefits of silica are many
In today’s grains, there is actually a shortage of silica. Years ago, the silica found in our foodstuffs was adequate, but with today’s hybrids and depleted soils, only about 1/3 of the silica needed is supplied in our food. Diatomaceous Earth is a simple and inexpensive way to get the silica your body needs.
Any food grade diatomaceous earth uses other than those approved by the EPA, FDA, or USDA are strictly reports of what hundreds of users as well as we ourselves have done with diatomaceous earth.
PETS AND ANIMALS
For Our Best Friends, Cats, dogs, rabbits, birds & many of God’s critters.
Firstly, this top section of the pets and animals section is to provide a summarization of how our Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth can help kill and prevent insects like fleas, ticks, and mites from infesting your precious pets.
PETS: Our best friends come in all shapes and sizes. Protect them from fleas and other crawling insects with Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous earth. Thoroughly treat floor and bedding in and around pets’ sleeping quarters. Treat surrounding cracks and crevices, baseboards, carpeting and wherever fleas and other crawling insects are suspected.
Recommended by Vets.
CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth kills by physical action, not chemical. The tiny diatoms scratch off the insect’s waxy coating, and they dehydrate and die.
Drs. Kim Bloomer & Jeannie Thomason, hosts of the online radio show, Animal Talk Naturally Animal Talk Naturally have this to say about our Perm-guard Crawling Insect Control diatomaceous earth:
“Our work is based on natural, preventive care for animals, so of course we are always on the lookout for good, quality NATURAL products to help our clients and our listening audience that won’t break the bank.” We have long been proponents of Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth as a natural pest control for all animals. EARTHWORKS HEALTH has provided us the high quality and affordability in their Perma-guard product that we look for in our own personal use as well as for our clients.”..
We thank Drs. Bloomer & Thomason for their kind words.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
The Bottom Section of pets and animals explains how Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth can improve the health of your pets.
Regular Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
for Pet and Animal Consumption:
The Following is Recommended Food daily doses for Dogs and Cats. The Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth seems to create an environment in the digestive system that parasites cannot live in. Also reported are great results with sore and painful hips and joints, and even a fuller, healthier shiny coat when fed as a regular daily supplement.
Animal Suggested Rate
Large Cats 1 teaspoon
Kittens 1/4 teaspoon
Dogs 100 lbs. + 1-2 tablespoons
Dogs 50-100 lbs. 1 tablespoon Dogs 10-50 lbs. 1 teaspoon
Mini dogs 1-10 lbs. 1/2 teaspoon
O.C. Collins, DVM, of Midland Animal Clinic and Hospital in Midland, Texas said,
“In clinical observations of feeding dogs over 35 lbs. 1 tablespoon/day, and dogs under 35 lbs. 1 teaspoon/day, of diatomaceous earth, within seven days, all internal disappeared from stools. Diatomaceous Earth controlled Ascarids (Toxocana), Hookworms (Anclyostoma caninum), and Whipworms (Trichuris vulipis).”
Now who wouldn’t want this for their pets?
Diatomaceous Earth Pro Pet Powder PET FOOD SUPPLEMENT! COMPARE THIS PRODUCT TO DYNO-VITE!
PRO PET POWDER is Now in Stock and ready to ship! PRO PET POWDER is a diatomaceous earth Pet Food Supplement with lots of goodies added!! While still 90% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, the other 10% is packed with several nutrients to enhance the health of your dog or cat. We have added the Probiotic Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Digestive Enzymes, Yeast Culture, Multi-Vitamins and Chelated Trace Minerals. There are approximately 120 tablespoons in this 1 pound container, so even if you have a large dog and are using a tablespoon a day, this is a 4-month supply. If feeding to a cat or small dog, this is up to a years supply! Scoop is included.
As pets get older, they often get sore hips and painful joints. Diatomaceous Earth in your pet’s daily diet will reduce arthritic inflammation.
Other suggestions for food grade diatomaceous earth for pets:
- For your pet’s living areas: Apply to moist kennel and bedding areas to reduce odors and to keep the area dry.
2. Cat Litter/Kitty Litter: Liberally add Diatomaceous Earth to litter box to effectively control dampness and odors.
DIATOMACEOUS EARTH FOR LIVESTOCK:
Goats, chickens, horses, cows, pigs, sheep, rabbits and others will benefit from the use of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth. As well as being beneficial to animal health our Diatomaceous Earth also acts as an anti-caking additive to help the feed ingredients from sticking together.
More LIVESTOCK BENEFITS that have been observed:
• Stimulates basic metabolism
• Converts feed better
• Reduces the desire to lick soil
• Scouring or diarrhea: when fed it seems to act as a material that draws both virus and bacteria out of the body and solidifies the stool
• Reduces odor and moisture in barns and stalls
• Better coat and hoof condition
• Reduces annual vet bills–decreased mortality
• Dairy cattle: Increased milk production
• Better egg production, stronger eggs, and reduces overall animal stress
Suggested LIVESTOCK FEEDING and Application Rates:
Animal – Suggested Rate
Beef Cattle or Dairy Cattle – 1% of total weight of dry ration or 1 oz. per day
Calves – 4 grams in morning milk per calf or 2 oz. per day in feed
Chickens – 5% in feed, use at full strength in dusting boxes
Hogs – 2% of total feed ration, dust or spray on bedding and animals
Horses – 5 oz. (1 cup) in daily feed ration
Sheep – 1% in ground grains 1 part Diatomaceous Earth to 2 parts T-M salt
Goats – 1% in grain, 1/2 oz. per day, up to 50% in T-M salt
FOR LARGE ANIMALS, Diatomaceous Earth may be offered as “FREE CHOICE” as long as the dispenser is well protected from the wind. Your livestock will also gain benefits from the many trace MINERALS naturally provided by our Freshwater Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, and DE helps reduce animal excrement odors that draw flies.
Important Notice: Feed ONLY Organic Freshwater Food Grade DE To animals.
* Any food grade diatomaceous earth uses other than those approved by the EPA, FDA, or USDA are strictly reports of what hundreds of users as well as we ourselves have done with diatomaceous earth.
Firstly, On this page, we have categorized some of the results from testimonial reports that we have reviewed regarding food grade diatomaceous earth human use health benefits, and wherever possible between our “About DE” Page and our “How-To” Page, we try to reflect the science behind the testimonials.
Of course, most actual in depth health related studies are initiated and controlled by the pharmaceutical industry, and why should those companies study the value of health remedies found in nature that could actually hurt their bottom line?
So here, we will endeavor to discuss the results that diatomaceous earth food grade users have experienced by taking a heaping tablespoon of diatomaceous earth in their favorite juice or liquid on a daily basis without the benefit of an industry sponsored study.
For more background on how diatomaceous earth human use works within the body to create the benefits related on this page, see the sections under About DE & our How-To videos section or feel free to call us at 1-800-228-5836.
Some people react with great skepticism regarding human consumption of diatomaceous earth human use so we do hope to help illuminate the logical reasoning behind the health claims of CONSUMERS regarding the use of food grade diatomaceous earth for human health.
Of 600 DE deposits in the USA, only 4 rate in purity by FDA standards to be “Food Grade”. Out of the 4 mines we are speaking of, we get ours from the purest of the 4. this product is 89% silica with 11% trace minerals.
My name is Larry Smith, (President of Earthworks Health, LLC and earthworkshealth.com). For better health, people like me and my family take one or two tablespoons of diatomaceous earth human use in a liquid every day.
Many people benefit from just one tablespoon daily! I mix it with grapefruit juice and my wife mixes it with just water. Other options are mixing the diatomaceous earth with soda pop, juice, or whatever liquid you prefer.
Some mix diatomaceous earth food grade in protein shakes, applesauce or yogurt. Our food grade diatomaceous earth is pure. There is no actual flavor or taste to it. Since diatomaceous earth does not dissolve, stirring the mixture several times as you drink it will prevent settling.
Some folks experience higher energy levels, so it is probably best not to take just before sleeping. Not to worry about taking too much – any excess silica not needed by the body is naturally pushed out via the intestinal tract… but we must find our own comfortable levels.
Remarkable diatomaceous earth health human use benefits through Silica
As previously noted, like most wonderful natural products, this product requires an FDA Disclaimer: “This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. Discussion of diatomaceous earth human use health benefits are based solely on personal experience and testimony shared by individual diatomaceous earth users and this company cannot market or label diatomaceous earth as a human health supplement with specific medical claims.” Having said that, It is required of us to use the term “may help” when referring to benefits of Diatomaceous Earth.
Diatomaceous Earth (DE) may help to absorb methyl mercury, E. coli, endotoxins, viruses, organophosphate pesticide residues, and drug residues.
Diatomaceous Earth may be an organic and NON-GMO colon cleanser and detoxifier. Cleansing and detoxification alone has a myriad of positive effects in the human body.
Mechanisms are cited on the “About DE” page. Adding to this is the widespread deficiency in human dietary sources of what is called “the most important trace element in human health” – Silica, and how rich diatomaceous earth is in this substance, we begin to understand the basis of the health benefits that so many have attested to.
Only a trace amount of the diatomaceous earth silica is absorbed into the blood stream, and just that amount is a substantial gain for the user.
A growing number of people count beneficial human side effects of diatomaceous earth and SILICA as being nothing short of vital to their well-being and exhibit genuine devotion toward its use.
The only cautionary side effect that we have found relating to food grade diatomaceous earth has to do with direct inhalation and is essentially the same caution that is advised when handling any fine powder. Diatomaceous Earth is a very fine powder. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is 89% Silica.
It was established in the 1940s that life can’t exist without Silica. More recently, in her book “Water & Salt” Dr. Barbara Hendel states:
“Silica is the most important trace element in human health.” Silica plays an important role in many bodily functions and has a direct relationship to mineral absorption.
The average human body holds approximately seven grams of silica, needing significantly more silica than even important minerals such as iron. Most people are, in fact, silica deficient. We carry around 90mcgs of silica per 1 gram of hair we have on our bodies and we carry around 100mcgs of silica per 1 gram of bone. Silica is in all of our connective tissue and it is so very important to include this mineral in our diets.
Among other things, enough silica in the body is vital for calcium absorption to allow calcium supplements to work. If Silica deficient, as is the case in the vast majority of us, calcium supplementation can even be a negative.
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is an excellent natural and organic source of silica.
Other Reported Health Benefits of Silica / Diatomaceous Earth Include:
- Maintaining Healthy Blood Pressure Levels Maintaining Healthy Cholesterol Levels
- Better Calcium Utilization for help with Osteoporosis and Healthier Joints
- Stimulates Basic Metabolism(weight loss)
- Improvement in Hair, Nails, Teeth & Gums
- More Energy
- Overall feeling of Well Being.
Osteoporosis, Joints & Calcium
Osteoporosis is a symptom of the aging process. As calcium in our body system depletes, our bones become brittle and weak.
Taking only a calcium supplement cannot correct or stop this threatening and crippling disease because the body cannot assimilate and make use of the calcium without the presence of silica. Silica plays an important part in formation of bones and also the hardness of bones. Your bones are not just made up of calcium but also magnesium and SILICA! As mentioned above, there is 100mcg of silica per 1 gram of bone in your body.
Evidence suggests that, instead of affecting healing, supplemental mineral calcium, on the contrary, accelerates the leaching away of bone calcium and thus hastens the degenerative process of osteoporosis and similar diseases that affect the supportive and connective tissues in the human body. The Silica found in diatomaceous earth human use, enhances calcium absorption.
Silica may stop the pain and even restore the body’s self-repair process. Osteoporosis symptoms attack women primarily after menopause but the degenerative process starts much earlier in their younger days.
More women are dying of fractures caused by osteoporosis than of cancer of the breast, cervix, and uterus combined. Silica is responsible for the depositing of minerals into the bones, especially calcium.
Silica may speed up the healing of fractures and also may reduce scarring at the site of a fracture. More and more research evidence shows that through a transmutation process, silica is turned into calcium when it is needed.
That is why some scientists refer to silica as a precursor of calcium. Even when calcium is insufficient, the body can turn silica into calcium that the bones need.
Natural Weight Loss
We have been getting hundreds of reports from all over the United States that diatomaceous earth is helping people lose weight. Everyone is saying that diatomaceous earth taken in the morning helps curb their appetite throughout the day. Just one more reason to take it every day!
We find that individuals that are overweight or obese find the best result with food grade diatomaceous earth as it is cleaning out massive amounts of toxin form the intestinal tract. This results in better absorption of critical nutrients and thus may speed up metabolism, resulting in weight loss and a feeling satisfaction from eating less food. We should not consider food grade diatomaceous earth to be a weight loss supplement but rather a cleanse of your digestive tract so you are able to absorb more and eat less junk.
Detox Your Body
Diatomaceous Earth human use health benefits reported to include a safe and effective detox! According to Kayla T. Daniel, PhD, CCN and Galen D. Knight, PhD in their article “Mad as a Hatter” there is no better product to detox HEAVY METALS and RADIATION from your body than with Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth! Please click the link to be directed to the article! It is amazing!
Today, we eat lots of boxed and prepackaged foods that are loaded with toxins and heavy metals. Much of this toxin is directed to our digestive tract where it is caked onto our digestive tract walls and is slowly leaked into the body and causes mass inflammation in our guts. We FIRMLY believe that is where all colitis issues begin.
Nature’s Internal Cosmetic
In Europe and Asia, diatomaceous earth health benefits are widely recognized to include use as a health and beauty product for hair, skin, nails, bones, and joints. Silica is needed in connective tissue, examples are hair, skin, and nails. We have a staggering amount of reports that Food Grade diatomaceous earth has helped to improve the look and health of all three.
Tissue Degeneration accelerates due to aging when connective tissue develops an increasing inability to retain moisture when left unassisted. Cells in the presence of silica increase the amount of oxygen they hold. More oxygen results in more inflammation being carried out the body. With less inflammation in connective tissue, your joints and tendons will have less pain. Around 70% of all testimonials we have received have to do with arthritic pain being reduced or completely eliminated.
Silica may help slow the degenerative process of connective tissue. With silica, vitality and life, which are often lost as the years accumulate, may be naturally maintained or even restored to your skin.
Collagen, largely made up of silica, is the glue that holds us together. If our body has enough silica glycosaminoglycan, the collagen will make us look younger.
Silica may help with skin problems and injuries including itching, rashes, abscesses, boils, acne, callouses, warts, eczemas, burns, frostbite, benign skin sores, insect bites and bed sores.
If you regularly follow a silica regimen, your skin may keep its youthful look. A good silica supplementation program works far better than other products for maintaining healthier and longer lasting collagen.
Hair That Grows
Hair is nature’s greatest beauty enhancer. Hair deserves to be pampered. Hair at 90 micrograms of silica per gram is almost as rich in silica as are healthy bones, which contain 100 micrograms per gram.
Silica is a major component of hair. Using a good silica supplement should be part of your ongoing hair care program for revitalizing hair. Silica helps to prevent baldness, stimulates healthier hair growth and assures beautiful shine, luster and strength.
Teeth and Gums
By hardening the enamel, silica may prevent cavities and preserves teeth. Silica also may prevent bleeding gums, gum atrophy, and recession that causes the loosening of teeth, which could ultimately lead to tooth loss.
Silica may also help fight ulceration and the decay of bones and teeth and also lessens inflammation.
You are able to use Food grade diatomaceous earth once or twice a week along with your toothpaste for a dentist clean you can feel. Just dip your wet toothbrush in some Food grade diatomaceous and then apply your toothbrush and brush away!
Tough As Nails
Your nail plates are complex protein structures that grow four to five millimeters per month on average. Silica supplementation may help nails grow much faster than normal. We have reports of silica supplementation resulting in a 100% increase in the length nails grow in a month.
With silica supplementation, fragile nails become normal within a short period of time. Silica will beautify the appearance of your nails and improve their hardness, making them shinier and less prone to breaking.
Restorative Effects of Silica
This may be most noticeable on your hair, skin, nails and teeth. Our skin and hair require silica essentially for the same purpose as do other tissues.
As we know, the supporting collagen underneath the skin enhances elasticity and beauty. Collagen owes that quality to silica, which provides a beautiful complexion that is more than skin deep.
More Reported Benefits Of diatomaceous earth human use
• Silica maintains healthy cholesterol levels
• Silica maintains healthy skin
• Silica stimulates metabolism for higher energy levels
• Diatomaceous Earth has a negative charge and a bacterium has a positive charge. It is believed that diatomaceous earth may sweep bacteria out of the body by trapping it in its honeycomb shaped skeletal form.
• Silica supplementation may help repair and maintain vital lung tissue and protects them from pollution. By maintaining or restoring the elasticity of lung tissue, silica can reduce inflammation in bronchitis.
• It may act as a cough decreasing agent. Silica may tone the upper respiratory tract (nose, pharynx, and larynx) and reduce swelling because of its positive action on the lymphatic system.
• Silica supplementation keeps menopause free of stress and helps to prevent many unwanted side effects of menopause including fatigue, loss of sex drive, HOT FLASHES, and mood swings.
• Silica may work with other antioxidants to prevent premature aging and to preserve youthfulness.
• Silica may help prevent kidney stones and heal infections of the urinary tract. It is a natural diuretic which can increase excretion of urine by 30 percent, thus flushing the water-excreting system and restoring normal function to these vital organs.
• The presence of sufficient silica in the intestines may reduce inflammation of the intestinal tract. It may cause disinfection in the case of stomach and intestinal mucus and ulcers. Silica may prevent or clear up diarrhea and its opposite, constipation.
• Silica may help normalize hemorrhoid tissues.
• In regulating and normalizing the bowels, silica may have a pleasant side effect; it may alleviate lower back pain, which often troubles the elderly.
• Silica often proves effective with female discharge, abscesses and ulcers in the genital area and cervix, as well as mastitis (especially for breast feeding mothers).
• The intake of silica may act as a supportive treatment for inflammation of the middle ear.
• Maintains healthy anti-inflammatory and odor binding effects.
• Silica may maintain healthy blood pressure levels.
• Silica may decrease vertigo, headache, tinnitus (buzzing of the ears) and insomnia.
• Silica may help diabetes by promoting synthesis of elastase inhibitor by the pancreas.
• Silica may help arterial disease by strengthening the blood vessels. Studies confirm that with age, silica disappears from the aorta, the heart’s key blood vessel, thus weakening its critical connective tissue and resulting in a greater cardiac risk.
• By improving the elasticity of the joints, silica may help rheumatism.
• Silica may have inhibitory effects on coronary diseases.
Silica may help avoiding or alleviating Alzheimer’s disease by preventing the body from absorbing aluminum and may flush out aluminum from the tissues. Silica can stimulate the immune system.
Most who use diatomaceous earth mixed with a juice or liquid say that they use 1-2 tablespoons daily as a normal and regular silica supplementation program. There are some that choose to take this product for its detoxification properties and we suggest you start at 1/2 teaspoon per day for the first week and every week there after please increase your dose by 1/2 teaspoon until you reach the recommended 1-2 tablespoons. After you have reached the recommended dose please stick with that dose on a regular daily basis. We know of no counteractions with a mineral like silica. You may take with or without food or supplements.
Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse Your Digestive Tract
Have you ever wondered why you feel tired, why your skin is lacking luster, and why it is an adventure in the bathroom every time you go? Have you ever thought about detoxifying built up toxins within the gut before?
Take this saying from Dr Axe:
“Are colon cleanses really necessary? While the digestive system has its own processes for removing waste, many people struggle with having regular, complete bowel movements due to various reasons like poor gut health, allergies, consumption of pesticide chemicals and inflammation within the digestive system.”
“IBS or Irritable Bowel Syndrome is estimated to affect about 15 percent to 20 percent of the adult population worldwide, while chronic constipation is one of the most common gastrointestinal problems in the world, affecting about 42 million people in the U.S. alone. These problems are especially common among people with poor diets, older adults, people recovering from surgery and those taking medications.”
How to Cleanse your Digestive Tract with Diatomaceous Earth?
This question is asked widely from our customers and people that are interested in detoxifying their colons. How do I do it? Really simple to do and we suggest first starting off with some clean and fresh water and be sure you are plenty hydrated before-hand(64oz of water at least).
You may incorporate food grade diatomaceous in any beverage but it is preferred that you use clean water. You may:
- mix ½ teaspoon in water for the first 7 days
- then every 7 days there-after please increase your dose by ½ teaspoon until you reach 1 level tablespoon
Please take once per day and it may also help to mix in a pinch of any of these:
- sea salt
- lemon juice
- ginger or Apple Cider Vinegar, to encourage more release of toxins and bad bacteria
Benefits of Diatomaceous Earth Cleanse
Many people do not experience what it is like to have a clean digestive tract, especially in their older years. Your digestive tract is your second brain and will lead to many positive changes to EVERY function of the body. Some of these positive changes may include:
Quoted from: *Dr. Edward Group DC, NP, DACBN, DCBCN, DABFM*
- Prevents occasional constipation and improves digestion
- Increases energy and concentration
- Jumpstarts Weight loss
- Supports overall colon health
- Encourages whole body detox
So taking this into account, your colon health is very important and during the winter months do a favor and get yourself some diatomaceous earth and enjoy the positive effects this product will give your digestive tract and other functions of the body.
Check these testimonials out from customers who have reported a cleaner digestive tract!
-Mary, South Dakota-
“In September I went to Croatia. I experienced extreme sleepiness during and after my trip. I thought I had contracted a parasite, since I was drinking the water and later found out the water was not that clean. It was the same sleepiness I had experienced on my trip to Russia and I figured I had contracted Giardia, a parasite common in Russia. When I came home I began an aggressive herbal de-worming program, which is the same program I offered my clients. This program consisted of taking cloves, black walnut, wormwood combination and a product balled Rascal. I stayed on this treatment faithfully for three full weeks and even did higher dosages than was recommended in the directions. I figured I was relieved of any critters hanging on to my intestines. Right? WRONG! Two months later I went to a clinic and had live blood cell analysis to determine my condition. I was shocked to discover parasites in the blood. How could this be? I was following a program that was offered by some of the top parasatologists in the country. An angel came into my life recently. She was a client doing my supervised fasting retreat I offer in my residence. Bonnie GAVE me a container of Diatomaceous Earth and said “try it for you and your dogs”. What have I got to lose but a few wigglies, right? Hopefully! Guess what? After only 5 days of taking the recommended dose I passed a 5 inch creature determined by lab analysis to be a round worm. Not me! Not beautiful, charming, squeaky clean diet Millan! Yes. I guess they are right when they say 90 to 95 percent of us have parasites and worms. You see, they are usually a-symptomatic, so you could have them for years and never know it!”
“…to date, in addition to enhanced “regularity”, the most noticeable effect, since I’ve been taking the DE, is a significant decrease in joint and/or muscle/ligament pain in and around the joints, including areas where I have arthritis.”
“Wow!!! 5 days into using DE I have noticed better bowel movements and a flat stomach. I could feel it working in my upper intestine. I feel great and seem to have more energy. I don’t feel sluggish anymore. DE was recommended to me by the nurse at my doctor’s office. She gave me a small amount in a zip lock bag and my husband and I tried it and loved it so now I’m going to recommend it to everyone. I placed my order yesterday and can’t wait to get it.”
Contact Earthworks Health
Sales/Customer Service Manager/Customer Relations Coordinator
M-F 8am-5pm CST
FREE SHIPPING ON ALL SIZES OF DIATOMACEOUS EARTH HEALTHY RECIPES PRODUCTS!
- Combine as Many Accessory Products as You Wish to Your Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth or Crawling Insect Control order for NO EXTRA SHIPPING!
- 5% OFF When You Purchase 3 of our Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth or Crawling Insect Control 50Lb bags. Receive 20% OFF when purchasing 2 or more of any other size of the products.
- Receive a Free Bar of our Goats Milk Soap With Diatomaceous Earth Free With a Purchase of $100.00 or More!
Before you purchase (2) of this item, be sure to check out our 4-2.5Lb jugs
(2.5Lb Jug) 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
2 Year supply with this size!
(10Lb Bag) 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
You are getting (2) jugs for free when you buy this size!
(4-2.5Lb Jugs) 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
For a discounted rate on (5) of this item, call us at 1-800-228-5836
Diatomaceous Earth and Colitis Issues
Many have found that diatomaceous earth is helping with all sorts of different stomach issues including ulcerative colitis, crohn’s, and diverticulitis. Colitis Issues affect a large section of the population and this needs to stop. Not to mention even the simplest of things like an upset stomach, constipation, loose stool, and IBS. Over the years we have received countless testimonials regarding the relief that people experience in their digestive tract using diatomaceous earth.
For example Thanksgiving is coming up and everyone is looking forward to the good food and family. Everyone but people suffering from digestive tract disorders who have to skip most of the meal. Even a person with a healthy digestive tract will experience a “slow down” of the digestive process because of all the nasty chemicals within the food we are about to eat. Diatomaceous Earth, when ingested, helps to cleanse the colon of bacteria, fungus, and even parasites. On the other hand it will help to move out bowel that would normally be sitting in your colon, rotting.
How to Take and When to Take
For an adult human looking to start using this product and they have a digestive tract disorder, we suggest they start at ½ teaspoon for the first week and then every week there after please increase the dose by another ½ teaspoon. Please increase week by week until you reach 1 level tablespoon. For adults that are looking for some help with getting all the bad stuff out the colon and to help with moving all this food we are about to eat, we suggest lots of water and 1 level tablespoon of the product for 7 days. Please mix the product into any beverage or soft food and take once per day!
At family functions I am constantly urging everyone to pay attention to their colon health to help with it I am giving this stuff away for them to try. It a pleasure to hear of their experiences and trials with the product as not only has it helped with digestion but others have mentioned the energy it gives them and the great complexion that is acquired by cleaning the colon the correct way. Feel free to check out our food grade diatomacoeus earth products to aid in your battle against colitis!
Check this testimonial out from the owner and operator of cureforulcerativecolitis.com and anyone with a digestive tract disorder like this would enjoy a read of her website and a consultation with her if needed. Please see below:
“Each of us has some “weakness” in our bodies.
And for all of us, with the issue of “weakness” within the body, I would suggest
and encourage you to have on hand “The Kit” for your “weakness”. For example, for those who suffer from frequent allergies, and colds,
“The Kit” should probably contain a variety of products, such as:
Emergen-C, Zinc lozenges, B Complex vitamins, good probiotics,
special herbs or vitamins that target the problem.
Similarly, for those of us who suffer from gut issues, whether it be
IBS, IBD, UC, or Crohn’s, we also should have “The Kit” on hand.
In this “Gut Kit”, I would definitely have a variety of items, such
as: good probiotics, slippery elm powder, Diatomaceous Earth (DE),
among other items. Diatomaceous Earth is an important ingredient in this Gut Kit, as it seems to act
as a modulator on Bowel Activity, and therefore affects motility of the large and
As it’s all natural, full of minerals, it works with the body’s digestive system
to help with both problems of diarrhea and constipation. The starting dose
is 1/4 teaspoon in a full glass of water, and you titrate upwards every week
until you find “your correct dosage”. When your bowel movements are just
right ( neither diarrhea nor constipation), then you know you’ve reached your
“correct dosage”. The other big plus of taking DE is that for many of us who
have Gut issues, hair loss is a big problem. And somehow DE contributes
to hair growth, not just on the head, but all-over. Inexpensive, and natural –
try it and see how it helps your Gut.”
Nicky – Owner
For Quality Food Grade Diatomaceous at wholesale prices please contact earthworkshealth.com either on the web or by calling 1-800-228-5836. We have dedicated customer service MON-FRI 8am-5pm CST to help with your orders and ALL of your questions regarding our products!
Firstly, this page is dedicated to informing about parasites, where they come from, how someone may acquire them, and the use of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth against them.
Whether it is worms or microscopic parasites, humans and animals are infested, whether they think they have them or not. Since there is a growing collective of thoughts on parasites and the dangers of them, we would like to provide you with some information about them and how to use Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth against them effectively.
Let us start with describing some of the common parasites in the United States and how they are acquired.
Above you will notice a map of intestinal parasites that lets us know the percentage of parasites found within an animals’ digestive tract in the United States. Historically when animals or pets have parasites, more than likely their human counterparts will either have the same type of parasite or will acquire them from the animal at some point. This is why it is so important to not only ingest Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth for yourself but to have your animals/pets ingest the Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth also to make sure they do not keep spreading the parasite.
Above you will see the pinworm, which is one of the most common parasitic worms found within the digestive tract of an animal or human.
Symptoms of Pinworms
Pinworms often cause no symptoms but some individuals may experience:
• Itching of the Anal or Vaginal area
• Insomnia, Irritability, and Restlessness
• Intermittent abdominal Pain and Nausea
How Do You Get Pinworms
• Swallowing or breathing in Pinworm Eggs
• Itching at the Anal of Vaginal area which will in turn spread eggs to toys, bed linens, toilet seats, food, liquids, clothes, and other people
• Pinworms can survive on surfaces for two to three weeks
Above you will see the tapeworm, which is also one of the most common parasitic worms here in the US.
Symptoms of Tapeworm
• Intestinal Infection
• Loss of Appetite
• Abdominal Pain
• Weight Loss and Inadequate absorption of nutrients from foods
• Invasive Infection (If tapeworm has migrated out of the digestive tract
• Cystic Masses or Lumps
• Allergic Reactions to the Larvae
• Bacterial Infections
• Neurological Signs and Symptoms such as seizures, blindness, confusion, and severe vertigo
How You Get a Tapeworm Infection
• Ingestion of the eggs (If you eat or drink food containing the tapeworm eggs, ex. A pig has a tapeworm and the animal’s feces hits the ground and either a human or animal were to orally come into contact with that contaminated soil, the eggs would then develop into larvae and then finally a tapeworm in your digestive tract).
• Ingestion of Larvae in meat of muscle tissue (Raw meat, undercooked meat, raw seafood like oysters and shellfish, eating animals with tapeworm larvae within its muscle tissue).
Above you will see a picture of giardia, which is a common parasite in Dogs & Cats & is spread to humans.
Symptoms of Giardia
• Watery, sometimes foul smelling diarrhea that may alternate with, greasy stools.
• Fatigue or Malaise
• Abdominal Cramps and Bloating
• Gas or Flatulence
• Weight Loss
How You Get Giardia
• Swallowing contaminated water
• Eating Contaminated Food
• Animal to Person Contact
• Person to Person Contact
Above you will see the fungal parasite called Candida. More than often, women suffer from this fungus more than men.
Symptoms of Candida
• Skin and nail fungal infections, such as athlete’s foot or toenail fungus
• Feeling tired or run down or suffering from chronic fatigue or fibromyalgia
• Digestive Issues such as bloating, constipation, or diarrhea
• Autoimmune disorders such as Hashimoto’s Thyroiditis, rheumatoid arthritis, ulcerative colitis, lupus, psoriasis, scleroderma, or multiple sclerosis
• Difficulty concentrating, poor memory, lack of focus, ADD, ADHD, and brain fog
• Skin Issues like eczema, hives, or rashes
• Irritability, mood swings, anxiety, or depression
• Vaginal infections, urinary tract infections, rectal itching, or vaginal itching
• Severe & Unusual seasonal allergies & Itchy ears
• Strong sugar or refined carbohydrate cravings
How You Get a Candida Overgrowth
• Eating a diet high in carbohydrates and refined sugars
• Consuming a large amount of alcohol often
• Taking oral contraceptives
• Living a high-stress lifestyle
• Taking a round of antibiotics that killed too many of our friendly bacteria that would normally fight off an overgrowth
What You Can Do To Help
For close to 10 years we have heard countless reports and many testimonials from customers stating that, when they took food grade diatomaceous earth, their symptoms were improved or in conjunction with other lifestyle changes have helped to improve symptoms and help improve quality of life. Customers are usually taking 1-2 Tablespoons all at once, in a beverage of choice, in the morning to early afternoon hours.
Many of our customers state that they have taken the Food Grade diatomaceous earth for at least 90 days to rid these parasites. We have taken the Food Grade diatomaceous earth for years now and is part of our daily supplement regime. We ask that you remain on the product for as long as possible to supplement silica to your body and help control and prevent any parasite from doing damage to your body in your digestive tract.
For animals, we do have a feeding chart located on our pets and animals section. There are chemical wormers out there for humans and animals but I must restate the word “chemical”. These drugs are not the safest to take and why would you give something like that to your pet companions. Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth is completely chemical free and is deemed organic compliant via OMRI and is listed as Kosher via Kosher services. Take the natural and organic route to help avoid these harsh chemicals!
ELIMINATING ARTHRITIS PAIN WITH DIATOMACEOUS EARTH
Firstly, before you try to improve your joint health from home, be cautious and contact your doctor before injury occurs. If this pain is due to inflammation or mild arthritis, Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth, may be a simple solution at home.
For many years now Earthworks Health LLC has testimonials from arthritis sufferers and how this product has helped to reduce the pain or completely eliminate it. The healing effect this product has is due to the silica thats’ present within the product.
Silica exists in all living things and has major roles in health, strength, and survival. Silica in Diatomaceous Earth helps treat arthritis naturally by reducing inflammation in the joints, maintaining healthy collagen levels, rejuvenating the elasticity of tissue to restore their naturally flexibility. Collagen, which is made up of mostly silica, is the glue that holds us together. Connective tissues consist of collagen, elastin, mucopolysaccharides, and mucous carbohydrates which aid is moisture retention. These valuable molecules have large quantities of silica and your tendons need proper amounts of it to retain its elasticity.
Lastly, collagen is acknowledged by many as the fountain of youth. It gives the skin a youthful appearance by helping to retain moisture. This promotes elasticity and prevents sagging. Collagen also reduces wrinkles and dry skin. Benefits of supplementing silica helps reduce inflammation and healthy collagen production. Collagen is an important component in cartilage, tendons, and other connective tissues. When you supplement with silica, you give your body the raw materials to repair and heal collagen-related issues. More silica in the blood means support for collagen, this reducing the amount of pain arthritis sufferers go through.
Finally, feel free to contact us for more information at 1-800-228-5836 and talk to me Andrew from Earthworks Health LLC regarding arthritis using diatomaceous earth. We sell Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth products for 20% OFF and FREE SHIPPING.
Weight Loss Using Diatomaceous Earth
What you need to know about dieting
Many people struggle with weight loss and weight gain. Whether we are eating less, watching what we eat, eating organic, or even incorporating exercise, it is hard for some to get rid of that gut and lose the weight they need to. One thing that women and men alike miss is a detox.
Your digestive tract may be toxic with fungus, bacteria, parasites, or even undigested food. This will contribute to a big belly, weight gain, loss of energy, and other problems like joint pain. So detox is important to be sure all of those toxins are out of the digestive tract so your flora can bring nutrients up to your digestive tract wall to be absorbed properly. Many find the relief of digestive tract issues, bloating, energy issues, and being overweight.
How to Use DE for Cleaning My Digestive Tract
We suggest that you ease into the detox to help eliminate the toxins, the right way. So please follow this procedure
- Week 1 – ½ teaspoon per day in a beverage of choice, all at once
- Week 2 – 1 teaspoon per day in a beverage of choice, all at once
- Week 3 – 1 ½ teaspoons per day in a beverage of choice, all at once
- Week 4 – 2 teaspoons per day in a beverage of choice, all at once
- Week 5 – 2 ½ teaspoons per day in a beverage of choice, all at once
- Week 6 – 1 Tablespoon per day in a beverage of choice, all at once
Continue from week 6 for as long as you wish! I have been on mine for 4 years and during the 1st year I lost 30 Lbs and have kept it off with DE, exercise, and a good square diet.
This will help to ease the toxins out and wow are you going to feel lighter, more energetic, and with a good diet and exercise you will feel much much better.
Feel free to contact us for more information at 1-800-228-5836 and talk to me Andrew from Earthworks Health LLC regarding weight loss using diatomaceous earth. We sell Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth at wholesale prices and we now have free shipping!
Acne is such a bad term and in our society can be a matter of popularity or ridicule. Women and Men alike are horrified to see it just like I am. Nothing worse than seeing toxins pushed out from under your skin to form a nice blackhead or whitehead. While others have to battle cystic acne, that develops and stays under the skin.
Diatomaceous Earth For Acne
Why Acne is a problem for the winter months
Acne can become worse in the winter months for the sole reason of not getting sunlight and the dryness that occurs during the season. We are also more inclined to stay inside which will cause more contact with the germs, bacteria, and dirt that we DO NOT want on our face.
Diatomaceous Earth Helping Acne when ingesting it
Many have claimed relief from teenager acne, all the way up to adult acne in all its forms. One would take a simple maintenance dose once a day. For adults we recommend 1 level tablespoon per day in a beverage of choice and for teenagers we recommend 1 level teaspoon in a beverage of choice.
When ingesting Food grade Diatomaceous Earth the silica within the product helps to promote healthy collagen and the proper disposal of bad cells in connective tissue (ie skin). Many of our customers and users of diatomaceous earth report smoother skin, better complexion, and a tight feel to their skin.
Another benefit to your skin when taking diatomaceous earth comes from the detox it gives your digestive tract. When your digestive tract (second brain) is clean and free of toxins, your skin and every other major function of the body is improved.
You may notice someone that is the same sex, size, and shape eating very healthy compared to another that is not. More than likely the person eating healthy will have a better complexion and less acne compared to the person eating bad because there is less toxin in the digestive tract. So take your Diatomaceous Earth every day to be sure those toxins are not building up in your gut, making your look not so refreshing.
Diatomaceous Earth Helping With Acne Topically
Washing your face with fossilized plants may not be the coolest idea in someone’s mind but the gentle yet effective topical use of this product has left even the most seasoned beauty freaks, speechless. Take Courtney Leiva for example. She is a nationally renowned beauty expert, blogger, and trial user. She used diatomaceous earth topically for 7 days and by day 7 she had this to say, “To put my Diatomaceous Earth creation to the final test, I washed with a regular store bought cleanser to see if it could compare to my diatomaceous earth wash. While I was expecting nothing major to occur, I was surprised when I noticed pimples forming on my face after cleansing with a drugstore favorite. Of course, this could be from the hot and humid summertime temperatures, but the slick and slippery residue on my face post-washing made me think otherwise.
To conclude I will say that I am pretty enamored with using my diatomaceous earth cleanser daily. My face feels very clean without any residue, and my overall texture is smooth as a baby’s bottom. A slight natural shine and no breakouts is something that made me eager to use this going forward”.
How do I use Diatomaceous Earth topically on my Skin?
Take a couple of tablespoons of Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth and mix with water until you reach that mud like consistency you need. Apply the diatomaceous earth mask in a circular motion always directing the paste up toward the heavens and never in a downward motion. Please leave on face until completely dry and wash and pat dry. You may use this as a daily cleanser or you may use a couple times a week to help exfoliate your skin from toxins. We have also developed a new face mask named Natures Face Mask which is a blend of over 10 different ingredients along with food grade diatomaceous earth! Click here to check out our Diatomaceous Earth cosmetic products!
- FREE SHIPPING ON ALL SIZES OF DIATOMACEOUS EARTH PRODUCTS!
Combine as Many Accessory Products as You Wish to Your Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth or Crawling Insect Control order for NO EXTRA SHIPPING!
- 5% OFF When You Purchase 3 of our Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth or Crawling Insect Control 50Lb bags. Receive 20% OFF when purchasing 2 or more of any other size of the products.
- Receive a Free Bar of our Goats Milk Soap With Diatomaceous Earth Free With a Purchase of $100.00 or More!
FOOD GRADE DIATOMACEOUS EARTH MAY HELP REDUCE DEPRESSION/ANXIETY
Coming into the summer months is a feeling of relief from the cold months. Anticipation to spend more time outside and to be more social with friends and family. Last thing you need is to feel depressed or anxious. This happens to far too many individuals young and old. My depression lasted years until a small dietary change and I was shooting the moon after a while. Now many have trouble absorbing the proper nutrients and minerals to help combat toxins and reduce our stress hormones.
With all the toxins in the world that wind up in our digestive tract, no wonder we have so many with depression or anxiety. They cannot absorb the proper nutrients and that is a huge problem. Not only for the person suffering but for the psychiatric industry as more and more doctors are treating patients with depression pills that are nothing more than a huge dose of fluoride. The disconnect between doctors and proper nutrition is staggering.
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth may help to promote a healthier digestive tract so you are able to absorb proper amounts of nutrients from the good foods we eat. Check out our testimonials section for many testimonials regarding depression/anxiety by clicking here. Feel free to click here to be directed to our product page!
Diatomaceous Earth – Household Uses
Make a paste with diatomaceous earth food grade and water to make a metal polish. Diatomaceous Earth food grade also makes a very inexpensive soft scrub for the shower, sink and faucets.
Face Mask and Cleanser:
Mix diatomaceous earth food grade and water together until you have made a paste. Apply to the face with circular scrubbing motion until face is fully covered. Leave on face for approx. 2 min. and then wash off with warm water. Your face will be fully exfoliated and toned for pennies!! Mix diatomaceous earth food grade with your favorite cleanser and you will have cleaner, smoother skin.
Sprinkle a small amount on your favorite brand of toothpaste and brush as you normally would. You will notice that your teeth look and feel “Just went to the dentist” clean.
Garage/Driveway Oil Stains:
To remove oil stains from garage floor or driveway: Make sure area is dry and completely cover the stain with diatomaceous earth food grade. Let the powder soak up the oil for 24 hours. Remove the excess with a metal spatula or paint scraper and dispose.
Diatomaceous Earth food grade can be used in the same way as baking soda to banish odors. Leave an open box or jar of diatomaceous earth food grade in the refrigerator and freezer. Replace with fresh DE every week or so.
For fresh smelling footware, place some diatomaceous earth food grade into the ends of two knee high nylon stockings and tie a knot the top. Place the stockings inside shoes or boots. Leave until used again.
To remove stains from carpets, cover the stain with diatomaceous earth food grade and lightly work into the stain. Let set for at least 2 hours and vacuum up.
Garbage Can Odor:
To deodorize a garbage can with diatomaceous earth food grade, sprinkle a cup or so of diatomaceous earth food grade in the bottom of the garbage can. Will deodorize and absorb moisture.
Reducing Toxic Pesticides using Crawling Insect Control (Diatomaceous Earth)
What is the Story?
Firstly, we live in a world where our “elites” have legalized the use of toxic pesticides. Unfortunately, to the household or the commercial farmer for a majority of the United States of America, it is readily available. Secondly, we have a new EPA administration that wants to roll back regulation on pesticides. For everything in the name of helping the economy from “evil regulations”. We all know the truth of how toxic they are but how toxic are they? Secondly, we want to be able to provide you with actual science on these chemicals. Crawling Insect Control (Diatomaceous Earth) has eliminated these types of pesticides in households and gardens. We all have families and animals we love. There is no reason to cause real physical and psychological harm in the name of efficiency. In the next section, I want to explain some insecticides and what they kill. Scientific information related to the toxicology to humans is something we will share also. Not only humans but did you know that we have a growing number of bee deaths. Consequently, not only from GMO glyphosphate but this next list of pesticides can do the same. In conclusion, California is the ONLY state that counts the thousands of pounds that are used every year in their state. As a result, this number is getting to the 10,000+ of tons each new year….
Pesticides and Information about Toxic Effects on Humans
Seems like pesticides provide many benefits for farmers and consumers. Consequently, the price we pay the for the convenience is not right. There are some profound side effects that, without the help of the EPA, cause:
- Cancers – With a great deal of concern and debate surrounding pesticides. There is a large body of evidence that claims pesticides cause cancer in systems of the body. To counter this, the EPA has “reviewed” these pesticides and will provide toxicology information. But there is no mention of an alternative or a reduction plan.
- Endocrine Complications – A wide range of reports suggest that males lose their testosterone, androgens, and a healthy male reproductive organ. Who wants that? In some cases, frogs have been turned female!!!!
- Infertility & Sterility – Exposure to Pesticides has been linked to destruction of egg production, loss of sperm count, and many still-births
- Brain Damage – Pesticides may be to blame for mild cognitive dysfunction (MCD) and all the way to causing Parkinson’s in some European countries. Frying the cognitive function of a child before their brains develop. Very sad!
- Birth Defects – The link between birth defects and using pesticides is first in household pesticides that you can spray on insects to kill them on contact. These pesticides have a residual effect that WILL get to the placenta and WILL get to your baby.
- Respiratory Disorders – Have you noticed all this Asthma? Get your pesticides and chemicals out of the house. Put them in a detached building or a storage container approved by the EPA. The rise of wheezing, chronic asthma, chronic bronchitis, and farmer’s lung in the last 20 years should tell you something about the connection.
List of Pesticides and References to Toxicology
Insect Growth Regulators
Firstly, primarily focused on the rise of Fire Ant colonies in the south. In recent years the spike of this chemical in that area is staggering! Pyriproxyfen is the chemical and is in brands like Nylar, Spectracide, and MANY fire ant baits. Check out this link to TOXNET explaining the toxicology of the chemical.
Microbially Derived Insecticides
To start, most popular in brands that kill Bagworm, caterpillars, or thripes. Comes in granule, but mostly in spray form. Spinosad is the chemical that’s used widely all over the United States! There are natural forms but are less effective on the market than synthetic counterparts. Types of spinosad have been found on dead bees and considered to cause bee deaths. Furthermore, you will find this chemical in bagworm or tent caterpillar sprays and other products similar. Spinosad also finds its way into insecticidal soaps that claim to be OMRI Organic.
Botanical or plant derived pyrethrums
To start, this is included in brands like raid flying insect killer, schulz’s Plant Spray, and many others. Beings it is one of the most popular, it is the most widely used. Associated with asthma and chronic breathing conditions is troublesome. Pyrethrum is a chemical that is common place to find in the blood stream of animals and children. Lastly, people use this type of pesticide for any flying, garden, or crawling insect.
In conclusion, Crawling Insect Control (Diatomaceous Earth) has made as much a dent as possible in the use of these chemicals. We will continue to promote this NON-GMO and Organic way of eliminating pesky insects from the household and garden. Therefore, done without poisoning our mother earth and poisoning the individuals we love. I encourage you to do your own research. In addition, when you have the time today, check your chemical cabinet to see if you can find any of these chemicals in your home. Lastly, Check out our page on Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth by clicking here!
ORGANIC PEST CONTROL
FOR GARDEN INSECTS:
Firstly, all you need is Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth, and either an inexpensive Pest Pistol Powder Duster ($8.99) or the more heavy duty Dustin-Mizer Powder Duster ($34). For very large agricultural applications, most use the Hudson Bak-Pak Duster Sprayer ($319).
For DRY APPLICATION of Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth, use a duster and cover entire plant, applying to both top and bottom of leaf. Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth will need reapplication after a heavy rain. Applies best when there is dew or after a light rain. It is a long lasting, effective powder as long as it is visible and dry. You may also side dress plants or form a circle, as a barrier, around the base of the plant.
Insects cannot build up resistance or immunity to Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth as they do with chemicals Wear a dust mask when applying large amounts. Otherwise, just avoid direct inhalation as when using baby powder or any fine powder.
FOR HOUSEHOLD INSECTS:
See our separate page for bedbugs and our page for fleas. We also have how-to videos under the how to section of the website. For household insects cockroaches, ants, earwigs, crickets, silverfish, beetles, and other crawling insects. Lightly coat a thin layer of CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL Diatomaceous Earth in areas where these pests are found and may hide in such as cracks and crevices, behind and beneath refrigerators, cabinets, stoves, garbage cans and in and around sewer pipes and drains, window frames and in attics and basements.Dust insects directly if possible. Repeat treatment regularly.
It’s best to have two inexpensive accessories for dispensing your CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL Diatomaceous Earth. We suggest the Pest Pistol Powder Duster to puff it into crevices ($8.99), and our Plastic Shake Dispenser ($4.00). They are both refillable from the original container.
Do not try to pour the CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL Diatomaceous Earth into the dispensers from the original container. It doesn’t pour like sugar or sand. Best to use a spoon or scoop.
For Outdoor Use:
Cockroaches, Earwigs, Grasshoppers, Ants, Crickets, and other crawling insects: Lightly coat a thin layer of CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL Diatomaceous Earth in areas where these insects are found such as patios, outdoor sills, window and door frames.
Dust around foundations, along ant trails and around sewer pipes and drains. Repeat treatment as necessary.
CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL Diatomaceous Earth is a natural, organic garden pest control and household insect killer. CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL Diatomaceous Earth kills by physical action, not chemical. The tiny diatoms scratch off the insect’s waxy coating, and dehydrate it to death.
Organic garden pest control called CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL DIATOMACEOUS EARTH! It organically kills garden insects on huge farm crops as well as in home gardens.
PERMA-GUARD CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL—EPA REGISTERED AND APPROVED!
EPA REG. NO. 73729-1-67197 EPA ESTABLISHMENT NO. 67197-UT-001
DIATOMACEOUS EARTH GARDEN USES
Planting season is here and everyone is getting all their seeds, fertilizers, and lastly, chemical pesticides for their garden crops. Chemical pesticides have become a staple in our communities without really realizing what impacts these chemicals have on our bodies. I was speaking with my grand-mother in law the other day and she was completely unaware that when chemicals are sprayed on the garden, they go right to the plants and the fruit is contaminated. She said there is no way the companies would allow us to buy it if it did that. Truth is that our government, with the help of DOW and MONSATAN, has spread the highest use of pesticides on the planet other than China and India.
Crawling Insect Control
Our Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth is the ultimate NON GMO and Organic alternative to using chemical pesticides in your garden. This stuff kills crawling insects by dehydrating them to death on a microscopic level. Now this action does not interfere with any growth cycle of the plant and does not adjust the PH of soil if it gets washed into it. You simply apply a visible application to the plants and/or ground. Try to find a few days of dry weather at least and leave it without disturbing it. I tend to do this 2-3 times a month during the growing cycle. This seems to control squash beetles and other crawling insects well for me here in Nebraska!
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Food grade diatomaceous earth is used by many as something that is ingested and used around the home to clean and deodorize. We have information regarding how much water can be absorbed by the DE. 10x its body weight in water! So this prompted me to run an experiment. I wanted to know if this would help with water retention. I need water retention on a certain crop I plant and I really hate using water absorbent crystals, they are toxic and my plants uptake the bad stuff. The experiment consisted of two plants of a pepper variety and I placed them both in a 5 gallon container.
In one container I mixed DE and soil 50/50 and the other container I used just 100% soil. I watered and then tested each container’s soil content for a moisture percentage every day. What I found is that after 3 days the container with all soil was dry, completely dry. While the container mixed with DE still had moisture under the first 3 inches of soil. I found this remarkable and the best part is that it is not toxic to your plants and your soil now contains a silica mineral! Feel free to mix into container grows and the same applies for raised beds. I suggest .5 to 1 lb per 10 cubic feet of soil, just depending on whether you have a nice loamy soil or a clay or sand soil.
Click here to be directed to our products page!
HOW TO GET RID OF BEDBUGS
Kill Bed Bugs Naturally
Firstly, crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth and a couple of plastic applicators (one to sprinkle powder and the other to puff powder) is all you need to get rid of bed bugs organically. No toxic chemicals. No exterminator fees. No need to move out of the house during the process. Full instructions for use of CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth is on this page, and ordering is easy and inexpensive.
To Start: You can start with CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL, (1) refillable PD-001 plastic dispenser used to sprinkle the powder ($4.00) and (1) Pest Pistol Powder Duster to puff the powder into crevices ($8.99).
When transferring the CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth from the original container, do not try to pour it. Use a large spoon or scoop. Being a fine powder, DE shakes well from the shaker, but does not pour like sand or sugar.
Crawling Insect Control diatomaceous earth will not only kill the bed bugs you have, but will do it without chemicals.
Remember – Bed bugs are not your fault. You can pick up bed bugs from hotel rooms and infected places and innocently bring bed bugs home. To kill bed bugs naturally and eliminate bed bugs organically use CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth.
You can spend hundreds of dollars on exterminators to get rid of Bed Bugs with dangerous chemicals and poisons, or you can protect the health of your family and pets with CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL Diatomaceous Earth.
The microscopic CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth particles are deadly to the Bed Bug. The particles attach themselves to the bed bugs body and physically “scratches and dehydrates them to death!” Because it kills them mechanically, they cannot become immune to it like they do with so many of the chemicals today. Because it’s a mineral, once you put it down it stays there and keeps working. You may sweep it up as you get rid of the dead Bed Bugs, but CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth doesn’t lose power over time.
General Application Introduction:
Bed bugs cannot fly, so make sure bed is away from the wall and there is no bedding touching the floor.
Surround each of the 4 legs of the bed with CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth–this will kill them as they try to get on the bed the only way possible. Dismantle bed. Use CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth in joints, crevices and where rungs are inserted. See that all interior areas are dusted.
Dust mattresses especially folds and edges. All cracks and crevices in the bedroom should be treated. Remove electrical outlet covers and puff some CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth inside the walls. The “Pest Pistol” works great for this.
HOW TO APPLY DE TO KILL BED BUGS
1. Wash all bedding and clothes in hot water—add a little Clorox with the soap(optional). Dry in dryer on the highest heat setting. Please seal clothing and bedding you are not using and be sure to keep it out of the contaminated area. If you can, use a steam cleaner on your mattress,box spring, cushions on furniture and any area of furniture you can get too.
2. Take the time to move bed, dressers, shelves away from walls if possible. Also make sure there is no skirting or anything other than the 4 legs/bottom of furniture or bedding, touching the floor. Be sure to follow this protocol the entire time of application! Better safe than sorry!
3. With your hands or an applicator, dust some CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL diatomaceous earth in a light and visible fashion to:
A. Mattress, Box Spring, Ridges along mattress and box spring
B. Furniture like chairs and couches. Apply to under cushions and to the ridges of the cushions. Also apply some to the inside of the furniture and down in the sides.
C. The very front of baseboards or mop boards in ALL rooms. Be sure to have an even and light application. Not more than an 1/8th of an inch thick and be sure NOT to miss a spot. You do not want to give them a small path to get around this product. If you are not able to move furniture or dresser away from the wall, be sure to apply to the base of it (where it touches the floor).
4. Apply the product around the legs of furniture and your bed. Be sure to form a circle in a light and visible fashion around the legs. If your furniture or bed does not have legs be sure to apply to the area where the item touches the floor.
5. Take off the electrical outlet covers and light switch covers and using our pest pistol, puff some DE into the walls via the outlets and light switches. Also take our Pest Pistol Powder Duster and puff the product in the small crevice that is between the baseboard/mop board and the wall. Bed Bugs love to live there and are the main way they spread from room to room. Be very careful – use nothing that would conduct electricity and shock you.
6. Keep application down for 7 days and then please clean all applications to the flooring and around legs of bed and furniture. Please reapply to those same locations in the same fashion for the next 7 days. You do not have to worry about application to furniture, walls, or in the frame of your bed as they are there for good You may clean these spots after your bedbugs are gone. To be honest we suggest you leave the product in those locations for further use and as a preventative measure against any insect that may want to enter your home.
So lets review:
Be sure to keep the application in walls, inside furniture, frame of bed, and mattress/box spring down and not to clean during the application process. Any application that you would apply to the flooring needs to be cleaned with a household vacuum every 7 days and then reapplied right after you clean for a fresh application, for another 7 days. So we need you to apply to those locations for a total of 4 weeks, being sure to clean any application to flooring every 7 days and then reapply for the next 7 days. Just repeat this for 4 weeks to ensure you cut off the gestational period of the bed bug, completely wiping them out.
BED BUG FACTS
1. Bed Bugs are usually no more than 1/4 inch in length in their adult state and can engorge themselves with human blood in less than 15 minutes causing their bodies to fill to as much as three times its usual size. Fully engorged bed bugs bear little resemblance to their original state and are often thought to be a different insect altogether.
2. Bed bugs can lay between one and five eggs per day with an incubation period of 10 days in warm weather (slightly longer when cool). These newly hatched bed bugs will require five significant blood feedings to reach adult size. They will molt in between feedings by shedding their exoskeleton. Once mature they will begin the process of laying new eggs.
3. Adult female bedbugs can lay more than 200 eggs during their lifetime and the new generation of bed bugs will immediately seek a blood meal and they might be looking at you through hungry compound eyes. When they are finished eating they leave tiny sores to remind you of their midnight binge.
4. There are other types of bed bugs including the bat bug, the chimney swift bug, and the swallow bug. All of these relatives survive on blood feeding, however these secondary parasites thrive on either bats or birds as their primary victims.
5. Bed bugs feed on the blood of human beings, but can suck blood from other animals as well. Birds and mice are the most common animals. Bed bugs most often feed at nighttime when people are asleep. When they feed, they inject a salivary secretion into the wound to prevent coagulation. The fluid can cause a person’s skin to itch and even become swollen. Scratching can cause sores which often become infected. Bed bugs are not known to transmit any human blood-borne pathogens.
6. An adult bed bug is about 1/5-inch long, oval in shape and flat. They’re generally brown except after sucking blood. Their body then becomes swollen and the color changes to a dark red.
7. Bed bugs like to hide in the cracks and electrical outlets in walls, behind wallpaper, base boards and picture frames, between beds and around the creases of mattresses and in bedding materials. They have a rather pungent odor which is caused by an oil-like liquid they emit. Bed bugs are often carried into houses by clothes, luggage, furniture, and bedding. Or sometimes even by humans.
8. Bed bugs seek harborage in cracks and crevices. Common harborages in hotel rooms and cruise ship cabins include: folds and creases in bed linens, seams, tufts and under buttons on mattresses, in drapery pleats and hems, beneath loose wallpaper, in headboards, desks, entertainment centers and nightstands, behind base molding in wall-mounted artwork, etc.
BED BUG BITES
The words “bed bugs” are enough to send most of us running with skin all quiver at the thought of little blood-sucking creatures crawling all over us as we sleep. These little bugs are pests, to be sure, and they can be difficult to get rid of once they have decided to make your house their home, hiding during the daylight hours in cracks and crevasses where they are almost impossible to excise.
Because of this, you may not realize right away that bed bugs are the source of the annoying sores on your legs when you wake up in the mornings. Bed bugs are attracted by both warmth and the presence of carbon dioxide, which is what we exhale in breathing. The bugs climb up onto your skin and pierce you with two hollow tubes, one of which injects anti-coagulants and anesthetics. The other tube is used to withdraw your blood, feeding for about five minutes before returning to their hiding places.
There may be a cluster of bites instead of singular ones when you awake, and this is typically caused by disturbing the bugs while they feed, causing them to detach and return to feed momentarily. A well fed bedbug can live anywhere from four to six months, while a dormant one might live without feeding for up to 18 months.
The bites can be found just about anywhere on your body, with exposed bits of skin being the preferred feeding ground for the bugs, making your face a target along with arms and legs. The bites cannot be felt at first, but as the anesthetics wear off and the skin begins to react to the injections, the bites can make themselves felt minutes or even hours after the bedbugs have returned to hiding.
If you have bedbugs, your infestation can get worse very quickly since a female bedbug can lay up to five eggs per day, and up to around 500 eggs in her lifetime. Since it takes only five weeks for hatched nymphs to grow to maturity, your problems could expand exponentially within a relatively short period of time, and infestations can be hard to control.
The History of Bed Bugs:
Bed bugs have been around for centuries. Documentation reaching as far back as the 17th century has told about infestations of bed bugs. In the United States, bed bugs were very common until about World War II. With the introduction of such pesticides as DDT, a great decrease in infestations occurred. It was not until the last decade that reported cases gave an indication of a possible rise in bed bug infestations.
Authorities believe that the rise in reports can be attributed to the extermination tactics of pest control today. Today, many pest control experts use baiting tactics for in-home infestations of such things as ants, roaches, and spiders. These baiting tactics work well for their intended subjects, but since bed bugs are blood feeders, they do not fall for the baiting tricks used. This change in exterminating technique has contributed to the rise in reported bed bug infestations.
Identifying a bed bug:
Adult bed bugs are generally flattened and reddish brown in color. They resemble apple seeds in appearance and size. Newly hatched nymphs look very much like adults. Although they are almost colorless, they gain their reddish brown color as they mature. The adult bed bug may lay up to 5 eggs daily. These eggs are almost impossible for humans to see with the naked eye, and resemble a flake of dust on a dark surface.
A quick look at the facts:
Bed bugs are small bloodsucking insects that feed on humans and other warm-blooded animals. Bed Bugs often hide in mattresses but they can also survive in furniture, behind wall coverings and pictures/paintings. They will crawl and nest inside tiny crevices anywhere indoors, as long as there is a source of food (blood).While bed bugs do not transmit any pathogens or diseases, their bites usually result in swollen red, itchy welts. Bed bugs are typically nocturnal insects (they creep about at nighttime).
There are other types of bed bugs including the bat bug, the chimney swift bug and the swallow bug. All of these relatives survive on blood feeding. However these secondary parasites thrive on either bats or birds as their primary victims.
Small reddish or brownish spots on one’s linens are often the first sign of an infestation. These spots are the bed bug’s droppings. Another sign is swelling where you’ve been bitten.
Bed bugs are not necessarily a sign of unkempt/dirty homes or buildings.
A female bed bug can lay as many as 500 eggs during her lifetime.
Bed bugs are less than 1/4 inch in length, flat, and oval-shaped like; a bit like a sunflower seed.
Bed bugs can go up to a year without a blood meal.
A bed bug’s saliva features an anesthetic to numb the pain as its biting. It also contains anti-coagulant to keep the blood of its meal host flowing.
Furniture that is inspected should be inspected thoroughly. Remove “pull out” drawers and inspect any and all small creases and openings.
Taking apart furniture is often advised if you want to get at the source of the bed bug infestation.
Doing this in a garage or outdoors is preferred, if possible.
The covering on the bottom of a box spring bed should be taken off for inspection and treatment measures. If the infestation is severe, you may want to dispose of the mattress.
Bed bugs are many times also found underneath the edges of carpets, where ceilings and walls meet, behind light switch covers and outlets, in clothes, inside appliances, and behind baseboards and carpet stays.
There are a number of things you can do to stop the itching.
1. Apply a calamine lotion to each bed bug bite or area of bites.
2. Do not scratch the bed bug bites. Everyone will react differently to bed bug bites. Some people may not even notice them. Others will have a very intense itching sensation. Scratching only makes the itching worse and can actually cause an infection.
Bed bug dangers:
When a bed bug bites, it injects an anti-blood clotting chemical into the skin. Some people may actually be allergic to bed bugs, and the degree of itching is determined by how allergic a person is. If you notice any signs of infection, call your physician IMMEDIATELY. Scratching the bites can also result in an infection. If you do not get an infection, the bites are simply an irritating nuisance. It may take a few weeks for the itching to subside and for the welts to disappear. BED BUGS DO NOT CARRY PATHOGENS as mosquitoes or ticks do!
PERMA-GUARD CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL—EPA REGISTERED AND APPROVED!
EPA REG. NO. 73729-1-67197 EPA ESTABLISHMENT NO. 67197-UT-001
CHECK OUT THIS GREAT VIDEO ON HOW TO APPLY TO YOUR HOUSEHOLD PETS TO GET RID OF YOUR PETS FLEAS AND IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD!
HOW TO GET RID OF FLEAS
Kill Fleas Naturally
DIRECTIONS FOR APPLICATION
1. Apply Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth to the pet’s entire fur coat making sure to rub it down to the skin. Do this for a period for two weeks, every day. Make sure not to miss the legs, belly, or hind quarters.
2. During this two week period take the product and apply in a light and visible coat to pet bedding indoors, flooring around the bedding, rugs, and upholstery. Leave for the first week, clean, and then reapply for the next week in the same fashion.
3. Clean thoroughly indoors and see where you stand. In most cases this eliminates the population and cuts off the gestational period. We do understand that in some cases fleas can get out of hand and we ask if you still notice some to reapply for another week or two both to your pet indoors.
IF YOUR PETS ARE OUTSIDE:
1. Apply Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth in the same fashion to your pet’s entire fur coat every couple of days to ensure a good preventative measure.
2. Apply Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth also around the perimeter of kennels, cages, perimeter of your house and make sure it is light visible. BE sure to reapply to the perimeter and other areas if it rains.
3. Repeat steps 1 & 2 all summer to ensure the proper protection
4. (Optional) Florida is one of that states that has sand fleas and they are in huge numbers so some choose to apply to the entire lawn a few times to kill off a majority of the population. Mix 1/2 Lawn Sand & 1/2 Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth in a fertilizer spreader to ensure the product falls correctly and evenly. Product is very fine so be sure not to open the spreader too much. Play with it to get the right application rate. Make sure the application is light and visible and re-apply after every rain
(*Rule of Thumb…If it rains and you are unable to see the application it is time to re-apply). For example, try to apply to the lawn when you have a stretch of sunny and clear weather to avoid the product being washed away the next day if it rains.
DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL): THE NON-GMO & ORGANIC ROACH KILLER
Firstly, roaches are common in the US especially in the arid climates of the southwest and other parts of the US. They are attracted to food that has not been stored properly or left out to be cleaned at another time. Roaches, like many other insects, are becoming immune to pesticides, fumigation, and other treatments while the cost of these treatments continues to climb. I mean, ROACHES CAN SURVIVE A NUCLEAR BLAST! So chemicals are out of the question in regards to controlling the population. Diatomaceous Earth Organic Roach Killer (Crawling insect Control) is an Organic & NON-GMO option to protect your family from poisons and to rid this disgusting insect from your home.
Diatomaceous Earth (Organic Roach Killer) works to kill a roach by dehydrating them to death, whereas with poisons you have to wait for the residual effect to kill them by toxicity. As long as a roach comes into contact with the powder and it gets on its exoskeleton, it is just a matter of time before it dies from the stress of dehydration. Please read and follow these steps to ensure your Diatomaceous Earth (Crawling Insect Control) is used correctly.
- Clean, clean, clean! Good sanitation chores everyday will be your best defense against a roach infestation! That chip that fell behind the couch could have brought them in! When cleaning your home, look for cockroaches and mark the places they like to hide or stay with a piece of colored tape or post-it note. Be sure to check around cracks and crevices with a flashlight.
- Get your vacuum out and make sure to make a second pass in every room to ensure that the carpeting is very clean. Again making maintaining this cleaning method is your best defense. When causing go the extra step and move your furniture to be sure all areas including under furniture is vacuumed thoroughly.
- Damp areas are a no no when trying to apply Diatomaceous Earth (Crawling Insect Control) as this NON-GMO powder needs to be dry to be effective against ANY crawling insect. Using any type of caulk, sealant, or silicone, be sure to seal up any and cracks under sinks, bathroom, near baseboards, or around doors that have poor or missing weather stripping. This fix is permanent and would be a good time to take case of these small cosmetic glitches. It will keep the roaches out and that is what matters the most in this situation.
- This is the step where you need to start applying Diatomaceous Earth (Crawling Insect Control) and if you have not finished cleaning your house to a sparkly shine, please do so before you apply. Areas when an even, light, and visible application needs to be applied to are as follows…Behind baseboards, wall sockets (be sure to take the plates off, light switches (be sure to take the plates off), under appliances, under sinks, cracks or crevices, and where food is commonly dropped and forgotten about. Please use the Pest Pistol Powder Duster to aid you in getting this powder in those locations. Leave applied for 7 days and then repeat steps 1-4 every week for 1 month.
- Apply Diatomaceous Earth Crawling Insect Control (Organic Roach Killer) around the outside foundation of your home. Be sure to go out at least 1 foot from the start of your foundation to ensure proper protection from these bugs and other crawling insects as well. Whether you live in a dry or damp area this is an important step in making sure the roaches come into contact with it before they have a chance to enter the home. This will not deter them from entering but they will not live as long and the hope is that is will dehydrate them for instance before they lay eggs. Leave down for 7 days or after a rain. Reapply and keep applied for 1 month just being sure the product is applied in a light, even, and visible fashion.
- (Optional:) Crawlspaces are a breeding ground for roaches (limited human contact) and need to be treated as well. Take 3-5lbs of Diatomaceous Earth (Crawling Insect Control) and pile it near the entrance. Using a leaf blower or similar machine, point at the pile and blow the powder into the crawlspace. Please give it 15 minutes to settle and then visually inspect the crawlspace being sure it is coated. If not be sure to repeat this process directing the powder to the location where it is not applied to.
Indoor Ant Treatment Using Crawling Insect Control (Diatomaceous Earth)
Firstly, being one of the most common insects that invade the home can make some prepare for warmer weather when they may want to come inside your home looking for food. They can be a nuisance for the single family home all the way up to become a problem. Why use Diatomaceous (Crawling Insect Control) Earth for ant treatment? Because it is an organic option instead of harming your pets, kids, and yourselves using expensive chemicals. As long as the product stays dry it will outlast any residual effect pesticides have. Plus this product kills by a physical action and not a chemical so there is no way the for the ant to become immune to it. Its 100% effective as long as you are applying it correctly and the ant actually comes into contact with it.
How To Apply Indoor Ant Treatment Using Crawling Insect Control (Diatomaceous Earth)
You will need two things:
- Crawling Insect Control Diatomaceous Earth and we have two different sizes.
- applicator called the Pest Pistol Powder Duster
- Find areas around your house where you have seen ants crawling. Mark places where you think and where they may be able to enter your house.
- Apply powder in an even and light application to all baseboards using our pest pistol powder duster in every room and be sure to focus on window sills and doorways.
- Apply powder in an even and light application to the outside foundation of your home being sure to go out 6″ from the start of the foundation
- Leave application indoors and outside applied for 7 days and then clean the best you can. in most cases the ants are eliminated and in other cases you may see 1 or 2 of them. Just be sure to repeat if you see more. Its a matter of time as they get killed off that they will realize it is not the best place to look for food and they will leave.
CONTROLLING ANT HILLS USING DIATOMACEOUS EARTH (CRAWLING INSECT CONTROL)
Many have problems with ants in their home and this may be deterred by stopping the problem where it begins, the Ant Hills!
In this post we will go over how to take care of the ants by applying DE to the Ant Hills. This works well for all ant types even fire ants and carpenter.
Things To Gather:
- Broom stick (Metal, Plastic, Wood)
- 2 Liter Bottle of Club Soda
- 1 Cup Diatomaceous Earth (Crawling Insect Control)
- Few Sticks or Flags To Mark Ant Hills or Areas Where Ant Hills are Present
Steps to Control Ant Hills Using Diatomaceous Earth Crawling Insect Control:
- Gather needed supplies, mark off ant hills or areas of any hills using some sticks you find on the ground or use some colored flags to do the job.
- Mix 1 cup of Diatomaceous Earth (Crawling Insect Control) with 2 liters of club soda until well blended. *You may have to stir again to be sure the product has not settled to the bottom of the container
- Take broom stick and stick into the center of the hole of the ant hill and push down about 6 inches. Next you want to twist and bend that broom stick all around while still in the ground. What this does is breaks apart the queens chamber and causes the workers to scramble to try and fix the chamber or make a new one for her to move to quickly
- Remove broom stick and immediately after, slowly pour the solution you just mixed up into the hole you created. The club soda will help to break up more the chambers and expose more of the ants and QUEEN to the diatomaceous earth.
Works very well with any kind of ant especially fire and carpenter in the southern states. Carpenter and sugar ants have smaller mounds and we recommend a smaller stick to break it up. For example the end of a wooden stirring spoon or end of a spatula.
Crawling Inset Control (Diatomaceous Earth): Organic & NON-GMO Wasp & Hornet Prevention
Springtime is a wonderful time to enjoy blooming flowers and lots of showers to help green things up! Spring time can also be a troubling time for some, especially if you are battling wasps or hornets around the house and yard. Many feel it is not safe to let their kids play outside with wasp or hornets around and we don’t blame them. They can be aggressive if provoked so it is better we leave them be. Before the infestation gets to be problem, take into account a NON-GMO and Organic prevention called Crawling Insect Control (Diatomaceous Earth). This product is very safe for any pets or children and is a great prevention for these insects. They do not like to build their nests where this is applied. Follow these steps to help this season! Be sure to check out our Home Pest Control Bundle to save 16%.
Firstly, Examine your yard and focus on areas where they have built their nests the year previously. The majority of these insects populate areas like your grill, under stairs, gutters, under your deck, and deck furniture. Apply this product to these problem areas in a visible and 1/8 in application.
Apply the product to these areas using our Plastic Dispenser, Pest Pistol Powder Duster, or our Dustin-Mizer Powder Duster. Be sure to get a great coverage area. It may be a good idea to apply in a wet application if you are in a very dry area of the world. Mix 1 cup of this product per 1 gallon of water.
Be sure to repeat this process every 4-5 weeks. If you see more or if you have an unusually high amount of them, there is no problem with applying more. If your application has been exposed to a rain and it washes it away, be sure to reapply it.
Now that we are approaching the fall and winter season, it is time to get some pest control going as any and every insect is searching for warm and food. I am mainly concerned about spiders in this post as spiders are the type of arachnid to hurt us or our children. When it comes to worst time of year for spiders, this is the time when they are active and searching for food and warmth.
How can I deter Spiders from my Home Using Diatomaceous Earth Natural Spider Repellent
Many ask if diatomaceous earth is affective against spiders and yes it is! They are no match for this natural spider repellent product and will be deterred from crawling in it or even being around it. Diatomaceous Earth has the ability to get stock on the outer shell of an insect and when it moves, the product will irritate the shell or skin and eventually dehydrate the insect to death. Sounds like a great way to make a spider go! So let us move to how to apply this stuff to keep them away.
How to Apply diatomaceous earth inside and outside your home for Spiders
- Inside your home, focus on dark and damp areas of your home and mark them with sticky notes. As an example, your bathrooms, basement rooms, and any utility rooms.
- Outside your home, focus on entry ways to your home and mark them with either sticky notes or flags. Examples would be your entire foundation and entry ways into the home like your doors, garage, and windows.
- Please first apply in a ½” thick application around the locations that you marked outside and also inside. Basically for the outside you may apply to window sills and by the door and around the entire foundation. Inside you want also apply about a ½ thick application to the locations you marked.
- Focus on baseboards and wall outlets inside. You may use our pest pistol powder duster to get into those hard to reach locations. As for the corners of rooms and such please apply to those locations as well.
- Please leave application outside for 7 days and then reapply. Please leave applications inside for 7 days and then clean and reapply to the same locations, in the same fashion.
- Repeat if necessary and please continue until the first real heavy frost.
Diatomaceous Earth Natural Spider Repellent will help in getting rid of spiders and other insects from entering your home like they used too! You will feel safer knowing you don’t have to go around searching for the spiders! Take care this fall and winter and get rid of those pesky creepy crawlers.
We offer food grade diatomaceous and crawling insect control diatomaceous earth at wholesale prices! Feel free to contact our dedicated customer service and sales team at 1-800-228-5836 and we are happy to help you in a timely fashion!
What Are Stink Bugs?
The stink bug is an invasive species from Asia that arrived in Pensylvania in the late 90’s. This insect has gotten its name from its tendency to release a foul odor when eaten, crushed, or disturbed. Stink bugs are a common garden insect that when it becomes cold will move indoors to stay warm. It has 6 legs and is a brown or light gray in color. Its shape is similar to a shield and can get as large as 1″. These insects are primarily found in the Eastern half of the United States but is not limited to the midwest states and even some west coast states including California, Oregon, Washington, Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.
Habits, Habitat, and Threats
For the most part the stink bug will eat garden fruit and there nymphs will feed off of plant cellulose on leaves, stems, and fruit. Stink bugs like many other garden insects will try to come in your home during and right before the cold months. Many times you may see this insect en masse on the side of a building or house. Stink bugs do have the ability to spread anywhere in the US and this is potentially damaging news to the agricultural industry and most importantly the small garden that is supporting food for a family. Stink bugs do have the ability to bite but it is very rare and they are not poisonous and pose no threat. Although, having about a hundred in your kitchen welcoming you to their new home in the morning is not cool.
How to Prevent and Kill Stink Bugs With Diatomaceous Earth
To really help your home or business keep the stink bugs out, be proactive before the cold creeps up or take the measure now during the cold months to help out right away and to get a step ahead of the upcoming warm season. If you need to get rid of stink bugs that are already in the home please have your diatomaceous earth and a vacuum cleaner ready. These steps below are to help you prevent stink bug infestations inside your home.
- Seal Cracks around windows, doors, house siding, utility pipes, behind chimneys, and underneath the wood baseboard or mop board if you can.(Good quality silicone or silicone-latex caulk will suffice for this)
- Inspect damaged windows for any cracks or openings in the screen or window itself. Please replace if they are damaged.
- On the outside foundation of your home it is a good idea to clear debris and old dead plants away from the foundation about 6-12″
- Apply our Diatomaceous Earth to the cleared area in a visible fashion and be sure not to miss a spot around your foundation
- Reapply the product after every rain and continually apply a fresh application every other day or as necessary
If they are in the home
- Please repeat steps 1-5 first to be sure you have a preventative measure to prevent more from entering your home
- Break out the vacuum and start vacuuming the stink bugs and the rest of the flooring
- Please apply our Diatomaceous Earth product by entry ways, baseboard or mop boards, rugs, carpetting, upholestry legs and bed legs.
- Leave applied and in a light and visible fashion for 3 days
- Clean application and any other dead or alive stink bugs
- Repeat steps 3-5 once or twice a week to ensure proper stink bug control
Stink bugs are essentially harmless unless you are the unfortunate soul to inhale or smell the stink bug’s stink. Very foul and very effective. Stink bugs are also invasive and some species are predatory and will elminate many beneficial insects that help deter leaf cuting insects and others. It is best to help rid these insects from your area and send them packing to Asia.
Earthworks Health LLC offers the purest food grade and crawling insect control diatomaceous earth on the planet. Everything is hadn packaged and cared for like we ourselves were placing the order. We are a wealth of knowledge here and we ask that you check out our product page by clicking here to find more products for insect control, cosmetic things, and human use. Thank you so much for reading and help rid your area of stink bugs!
Diatomaceous Earth: Treat Lice Naturally
One of the biggest fears among school children’s parents is Lice. Yuck! We have to deal with it, but do we have to deal with it by putting toxic chemicals right next to our child’s brain? I don’t think so! Nature is the driving force to just say no. According to the American Chemical Society, they found that in 2014, 99.6 percent of lice tested had developed gene mutations making them resistant to common over-the-counter or even prescription medications! In California, Florida, Maine, and Minnesota, every insect sampled was resistant to the toxic pesticide permethrin. So like we have been preaching all these years, what do you do without that magic pesticide? Well, we have an organic, NON-GMO, and NON-TOXIC alternative that really works!
Mainstream media is weighing in
Even the likes of Dr. Mercola have picked up on the power of diatomaceous earth and how much of a safe alternative it really is compared to chemicals from the store or doctor. Just take it from him:
“Only one thing sends more shivers down the spines of school-aged children’s parents than head lice…and that is mutant head lice. Research from 2014 of lice samples from the US and Canada showed almost all of the insects (99.6 percent) had developed gene mutations making them resistant to common over-the-counter lice shampoos.
Such shampoos often contain the toxic pesticide permethrin… which should not be placed anywhere near a child’s scalp due to the health risks alone. But now it appears the chemicals will no longer be effective either.”
Now even CNN is weighing in:
“The insecticides in these products are supposed to work by getting into the nerve cells of lice and changing the cell’s chemistry in a way that leads to muscle paralysis and eventually death. However, there are lice that randomly have mutations in genes that make them less susceptible to these insecticides, said Richard Pollack, a public health entomologist at Harvard University.
It is not clear how, but it could be that these genetic changes cause insect nerve cells to take up less insecticide or to pump more of it out of the cells. When these insecticides are used a lot, the naturally resistant, probably rare, lice have a survival advantage. Just like how bacterial populations can become resistant to antibiotics, these lice take over the population, Pollak said.”
So with all this worry, our product diatomaceous earth can be the answer to parents prayers! Let’s give you a lowdown on how to do this:
How to Kill Lice Using Diatomaceous Earth
There is really no reason to apply pesticides to your child. Many find that an application of diatomaceous earth does wonders compared to even other natural remedies out there. Diatomaceous Earth is made up of the tiny fossilized remains of diatoms, which are single-celled plants. The diatoms are ground up and made into a very fine powder and when they have contact with an insect, will suck the fats from the exoskeleton of the insect making it so the insect cannot keep its own fluids within itself. Diatomaceous Earth simply sucks the body fluids from it and dries them to death. Diatomaceous Earth is non-toxic to humans as long as it is 100% Diatomaceous Earth preferably food grade unless you want to use powdered quartz which is found in filter grade diatomaceous earth. Do not use that stuff, we repeat, do not use it. Also, Diatomaceous Earth is very fine and if inhaled for prolonged periods in massive amounts, could cause some lung irritation.
So here are the directions on how to apply this:
1. Place an old T-shirt upside down over your child’s head so the collar forms a seal around the scalp.
2. Apply DE to your child’s hair, while being careful to keep the dust inside of the T-shirt “bag”
3. Tie off the open end of the T-shirt and massage the DE into your child’s scalp.
4. Allow it to sit overnight, then shampoo it out the next day.
5. This should be followed by a thorough combing with an EXTRA fine comb. Please reapply every couple of days for a two week period.
In conclusion, I can honestly say that chemicals that you find that are over the counter and even prescribed are outdated and poison the population leading to further disease. Diatomaceous Earth trumps everything the doctor can push on your when it comes to head lice so use the natural way to kill these things. Feel free to share this information with your doctor or other families that may be suffering. In our eyes, every school should have a bag of this in the stock room to be sure they can kill off infestations quickly in cooperation with parents. Feel free to check out our site at earthworkshealth.com to find out more information about what diatomaceous earth can do for your family and health!
Mites have always been a nuisance for the pet owner and causes the owner to spend more than needed on medications. Furthermore, veterinarians seem to misdiagnose mites for hot spots or allergies. This causes the pet owner and the pet itself more grieve. Crawling Insect Control Organic Mites Treatment (Diatomaceous Earth), however, can be used as a NON-GMO and Organic way to kill off the infestation of the mites. Targets both full grown and developing mites which in turn will take out the gestational period and will add a prevention for the future.
Follow these steps below to help fight them off Using NON-GMO & Organic Mites Control With Crawling Insect Control (Diatomaceous Earth)
Clean pet areas like bedding, around food dishes, and any kennels or again bedding. Be sure wash thoroughly and replace any straw or hay they may have used if they have an outdoor dog house. For cats, you want to make sure the food dishes and around them are cleaned. The cat box is another breeding ground for mites so be sure to clean the litter often and apply this product in and around the box to help prevent further spread of the infestation.
Apply the product in a light and even fashion to all locations stated in Step 1 of the instructions. Be sure to give it 5 days before cleaning and reapplying for another 5 days. This is long enough to see a dramatic reduction in population of the mite.
Most importantly is to get this product on your pet to help kill off the already embedded mites. Mites will burrow under the skin and feed on it causing a rash or redness called mange. Take a look at the rash on a cat and dog quick.
This is what will happen to them if we do not kill them. From mange, comes skin infections and rounds of steroids and antibiotics. So before this happens please apply the powder onto the fur coat of the animal, being sure not to miss a spot other than the face and eyes. Be sure the application is visible and then rub that down to the skin, even the infected mange skin. When the mite surfaces, they will come into the application and because DE absorbs moisture so well, they will be dehydrated to death.
(Optional) You may use this product as a prevention also. After you get rid of these nasty mites be sure to keep a light and visible application on bedding, cat boxes, kennels, and the grounds in which they love to play on, outside. During the warm months this can prove effective against not only mites but fleas also.
Feel free to access our products page to help you in selecting the right diatomaceous earth to do the job! Click here to be directed to our product page!
When talking about tick control many of us look the other way as we do not want a tick infestation. Such a horrible bloodsucking parasitic arachnid that makes the lives of many terrible during the warm season. Many different products are on the market currently that may work but are so toxic that I would not dare let my pets or children play around it. Some of these products are insecticides designed to kill ticks but will also kill your pets or kids if they are not careful. Spring is coming and we want to be sure that all of you have the right information to help repel and stop ticks from infesting your home and areas around your home without the need or even the thought of insecticidal poisons.
Rid Ticks From Your Home
Most tick infestations start in your home when a tick attaches themselves to a pet or yourself. Ticks then either attach themselves to your skin or they may fall off and slowly scurry to a hiding place. As of late, a disease called Lyme has made its way into mainstream news and deer ticks and other ticks are known to carry this debilitating disease.
In 2015, 95% of confirmed Lyme disease cases were reported from 14 states:
- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
View this data from the CDC by clicking this link! Let it be known that our product can help you get these things out for good and let us show you how!
Home & Pet Tick Prevention
- Cleaniless is the most important step here and needs to happen before you apply DE. These little bloodsuckers can hide in furniture, stored clothes, rugs, drapes, for very long periods of time. So get out your vacuum and start vacuuming your furniture, fabrics, rugs, and wash all clothes on the highest heat setting possible and dry on the highest heat setting when you can. This method sucks up many ticks hidden there. Going that extra mile by moving furniture and appliances to get to those places is a must! This cleaning again is essential in your battle to rid them!
- Apply your DE using our plastic dispenser and pest pistol applicators! We have the DE and those two applicators in a bundle for you for extra savings! Click this link to be directed to the product page to check it out! We recommend you apply your DE to where the carpet or flooring meets the baseboard or wall. We also suggest that you apply to entryways to your home like window and door frames. Apply to and in furniture, rugs, fabrics, and drapes. Please apply in a light and visible fashion.
- Leave application down on those locations for 7 days and then vacuum the application up. Please note that a shop vac will work better as a normal vacuum may become troublesome if you vacuum too much at once. Wash the drapes or fabrics that you can again.
Repeat steps 1-3 until the problems gone!
Outdoor Tick Control & Prevention
So many of us have a large tick population in our yards and it’s troublesome to send your kids or pets outside anymore. Who wants 15 ticks on your dog after spending an hour outside? Nobody, and the fact that those ticks can get into the house, yuck! Really there is no way to rid every tick from your yard. They are so invasive that you would have to make it look like a bakery exploded in your yard by applying DE to every square inch or you could simply remove the foliage and grass completely. Both of those options are not practical so we will give you some tips and tricks when using DE to rid ticks from your yard.
- Ticks hitch a ride with animals and rodents so be sure to mark locations where you may have seen rodents or animals like deer, rabbits, or squirrels. These locations could be buildings next to your home, groups of trees, piles of wood, compost piles, sheds, barns, unattached garage, and anything else you built around your home.
- You may want to clean these areas if they have any debris. If you find holes or indentions in the ground, fill them back in. Level them off with your yard grounds. Like you see above, unstack and restack your wood to free any ticks in the woodpile.
- Leaf litter you find during the beginning is a hot spot for tick activity and let me tell you, they love to hang out at this location. Be sure you rake up all that dead leaf material and dispose of it well away from your home and yard. Keep the ticks from mating and increasing the population. Keep your grass cut and trim those hedge bushes to keep them away from there also
- According to the CDC, it is very wise to form a 3-foot wide barrier of wood chips or gravel between lawns and wooded areas (Groups of trees) to diminish tick migration into your area. Be sure to cut your lawn regularly and keep any swingsets, decks, or patios as far away from the edge of the trees or wooded area as possible. At least 8 feet away! Construct a fence around your property to keep out unwanted rodents from populating in your yard and increasing tick populations. Also clean trash, compost piles, and undisturbed areas. Keep rodents from nesting and giving you a tick headache!
- Be sure to apply DE to the outside foundation of your home, any unattached buildings, and around wood piles, compost piles, and anything that is considered clutter that you are not able to move off your property. Apply a light and visible application to your pets fur coat and skin is a wise idea also. Do this 1-2 times a month during tick season and every time a rain washes the application away.
If you are an avid gardener or farmer, you know full well what aphids can do to your plants. If left untreated aphids can eat your plants in a matter of days to weeks, completely stopping any harvest from happening. Aphids come in a variety of colors but all do the same, eat your plants! Many individuals will use chemical pesticides to kill the aphid population but what they do not realize is the pesticide will not be forever in the fruit of the plant. Now, no one wants that for dinner! We do offer Diatomaceous Earth as an organic and NON-GMO solution to killing your aphid infestation on any plant whether indoors or outdoors, in the ground or in a container. This is the ultimate aphid control and let us explain how to use it against them!
How to Apply Diatomaceous Earth For Aphid Control
Click here to be directed to our Crawling Insect Pest Control Bundle to Save on Time and Money this gardening season on your aphid control!
- Be sure to put on a dust mask and goggles to protect your eyes and lungs while applying.
- For aphid control, Using our plastic Dispenser, apply diatomaceous earth liberally to the top sides of leaves and around the ground around the plant or if growing in a container, apply to plant and then to the soil and around the container where it is sitting.
- Taking our Pest Pistol Powder Duster, puff the product onto the undersides of the leaves where aphids may want to lay eggs
- Repeat steps 1-3 every few days or after every rain or watering to prevent further infestations.
*In dry and arid climates please mix 1 cup diatomaceous earth with 1 gallon of water to spray apply the product to plants. Again be sure to reapply if not visible or after every rain or watering.
Thrips can be a problem for the greenhouse grower all the way to the field or garden grower. To control thrips we need to understand what a thrip is and its habits and habitats. After we learn what the thrip is, we can better understand how the thrip acts, habitats, and how to GET RID OF THEM. Thrips contribute to a huge amount of headaches from the professional and commercial grower, greenhouse grower, down to the gardener. Thrips can make a healthy plant look like it’s on its last leg, in a matter of a day or two depending on the infestation.
Lifecycle and Information
As you can see above thripes if left untreated can cause some serious damage to your produce! Thrips damage plants by feeding on leaf and flower tissue, leaving a silvery appearance. They also lay eggs in leaves and flower tissue in young developing fruit (such as cucumbers). This damages leaves and flower petals and causes distorted and damaged yields. Thrips can also transfer disease such as the Tomato Spotted Wilt Virus so it is very important to keep these pests out of your grow!
- Nymphs and adult thrips are very small, straw colored, long insects that are a little less than 1mm long.
- Adults have narrow, fringed wings; nymphs are wingless
- Thrips can move FAST and prefer to hide in folds of leaves and fruit
- Females lay eggs in plant tissue and each female lays between 6-10 eggs per day over her lifespan of 4-5 weeks. Eggs hatch in 5 days with 72F weather.
- Nymphs feed on plant tissue for 8-10 days, then drop to the ground to complete development in protected sites on the ground or greenhouse floor.
- Thrips have an immobile stage, the pupal stage, which takes 7-10 days
- When adults emerge they fly to upper parts of plants and begin laying eggs after a day or two.
- Use yellow or blue sticky cards at a rate of 1 trap per 500-1000 square feet. Place traps at tops of the plants, around the canopy.
- Count the number of thrips on traps weekly; replace traps every 3-4 weeks as the glue dries out
- Use a 1-15x lens to examine leaves for presence of thrips or signs of feeding damage.
Control Thrips With Diatomaceous Earth
Earthworks Health LLC offers a bundle package that combines our awesome applicators to help you apply and a whole 50lb bag of the diatomaceous earth itself. Feel free to click here to be directed to the information page of this product bundle! As with any pest, a combination of monitoring and an effective product like diatomaceous earth to kill them is going to be the most effective way to rid them. Please see below for steps on how to use diatomaceous earth to kill a thrip infestation on your plants.
Steps on Applying DE to Kill Thrips
- Clean up any dead plant material on or around plants to prevent other varieties of insects that may cause harm to your plant. In my experience bugs that eat my plants are drawn to the dead plant material. So if you are greenhousing it this year, get your room cleaned and disinfected before you start really growing.
- Apply Diatomaceous earth, in a visible fashion, to the entire plant and be sure to focus on tight areas or areas where plant foliage may be folded. Be sure to get the underside of the leaves
- Apply a 1 inch think layer of DE on the grounds from the center stem out a few inches past the drip line of the plant. This step is super important to be sure we get any of the dormant nymphs that come to the ground to develop into adults. This action prevents the nymph from becoming an adult, where adults fly to the canopy and lay eggs.
- As a prevention you may do this action every 2 weeks in your grow. But during an infestion its best to keep up on the application on a weekly basis.
- Be sure to reapply after every rain or watering as DE will get washed away. Just be sure its visible, very important
- Repeat steps 1-6 as needed throughout the growing season
Check out this video for more information regarding Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth!
Before you purchase (2) of this size, be sure to order our 4-2.5lb jugs for the same price!
100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth 2.5lb Jug$23.50
You are getting (2) jugs for free when you buy this size!
(4-2.5Lb Jugs) 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth$39.50
2 Year supply with this size!
(10Lb Bag) 100% Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth$29.50
For a discounted rate on (5) of this item, call us at 1-800-228-5836